The Sabres should have went for the kill last night...

LabattBlue

I'm not predicting that the Senators will now win 3 more games, but I didn't see a killer instinct in the Sabres last night, when they should have buried the Senators. First period they were flat out terrible, second period they were very good and the 3rd period they couldn't fight there way through Ottawa's game of standing 5 guys up at their own blueline.

A couple of other thoughts...

-Stickhandle into your opponents zone on the PP when you have room, not when there are 4 guys closing in on you...Drury & Briere, guilty way too often of this.

-Sabres had very few if any second chances around the net,

-Miller was very solid again.

-I thought there were a lot of passengers last night who may have thought in the back of their minds that they can just mail it in and the Sabres will win.

-The last minute of the game was VERY depressing.

GO SABRES!!!!

I'm not predicting that the Senators will now win 3 more games, but I didn't see a killer instinct in the Sabres last night, when they should have buried the Senators. First period they were flat out terrible, second period they were very good and the 3rd period they couldn't fight there way through Ottawa's game of standing 5 guys up at their own blueline.

A couple of other thoughts...

-Stickhandle into your opponents zone on the PP when you have room, not when there are 4 guys closing in on you...Drury & Briere, guilty way too often of this.

-Sabres had very few if any second chances around the net,

-Miller was very solid again.

-I thought there were a lot of passengers last night who may have thought in the back of their minds that they can just mail it in and the Sabres will win.

-The last minute of the game was VERY depressing.

GO SABRES!!!!

They're stickhandling cause they haven't been succesful with a single dump-in on the PP all series long. Ottawa are just too damn good at getting to those, and throw them back down the ice.

Miller was solid yes, but the first goal was brutal.

The New NHL has pretty much disappeared. I saw several occasions where The Sabres dumped the puck in around the boards, only to have it jump all the way around and out of the zone, because The Sens winger was tying up The Sabres winger against the boards - WELL before the puck ever came around to him. Two weeks ago, that would've been the most obvious of interference calls.

They're still WAY too horrible at clearing the zone, how they've survived that without getting molested yet is beyond me.

We'll see how this goes, I guess if The Sens can win four in a row, they certainly deserve to move on.

We'll see how this goes, I guess if The Sens can win four in a row, they certainly deserve to move on.

Bite your tongue! :P

They're still WAY too horrible at clearing the zone, how they've survived that without getting molested yet is beyond me.

This has been troublesome the whole series except for Game 3. Games 1, 2 & 4 the Sabres couldn't get out of their own way when trying to clear the zone.

The New NHL has pretty much disappeared. I saw several occasions where The Sabres dumped the puck in around the boards, only to have it jump all the way around and out of the zone, because The Sens winger was tying up The Sabres winger against the boards - WELL before the puck ever came around to him. Two weeks ago, that would've been the most obvious of interference calls.

I definitely think that this is a very valid complaint when it comes to the officiating in the Playoffs -- the inconsistency. If you are going to call it close, then make sure it is called close, across the board. Having these variant interpretations of enforcement is something that can affect the game. But, just like in baseball, if the ump isn't giving you the outside corner, you have to accept it and alter your strategy. It sucks to have to change your gameplan to the way the game is being officiated, but if you want to win, you have to be flexible.

If they implode and lose 4 in a row becoming an asterisk as only the third team in history to go into a coma, then they should bury their heads in the sand and not come up for air. :P

I don't agree. Yes, the officiating last night was putrid, but EVERY Fraser game is reffed like that. If Fraser had reffed a Sabres game 2 weeks ago, you would have seen all sorts of stuff go for a while and then upon his whim all sorts of stuff get called and back and forth.

The problem with a Fraser reffed game is, the guy thinks HE is the focus of why the 18000+ are there. He is very Paul Stewart-like in that respect.

Fraser and Furlatt are not why Buffalo lost the game last night. Buffalo sleepwalking through the 1st (and better parts of the 3rd), their inability to finish in the 2nd (wide open Max, you HAVE to bury that), Ottawa's determination to come out of the gate hard and finish hard, and Emery outplaying Ryan were the reasons that Buffalo lost last night.

All that said though, IF Bettman and Walkom weren't blowing smoke when they said refs that refuse to call the game the way they want the game called are gone; then both Fraser and Furlatt should only be allowed to attend games that they have bought tickets for. Furlatt might end up hosed, but I expect Walkom's respect for Fraser to allow the over (and under) officious jerk (to paraphrase Marv) to continue earning a salary this post season. That is a shame.

I am sure they would like to go for the kill everynight?

Its not like they did not try, the better team won last night plain and simple. If we play better then they do saturday and win then again the better team wins.

Prediction

Team with the most goals wins! First team to 4 wins!

Archived