Theoretically, What does a McDavid trade look like?

elijah

McDavid's move is not going only to be facilitated but by what Edmonton gets, which is a hard get in the salary cap era, but the league partners, the media and streaming potential revenue. If you're not a Top Ten media market, or a flashy market, regardless of the trade, the NHL will nix it, and probably nix a trade to a Canadian team... NHL wants in him ESPN/TNT land which is 7:30 PM Eastern/Central... start times which is the bread and basket of NHL viewers especially ... All Connor vs. Connor or a Connor game all the time... Sports leagues are cartels... Gretzky in LA was great for building expansion, but who the heck ever got to watch him back then? Same with McDavid, most of you can count on 1 hand how many times you stayed up to watch, I get HNIC in my area and it is still too late to watch him on a Saturday on the East Coast... Original Six territory...

30 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

McDavid's move is not going only to be facilitated but by what Edmonton gets, which is a hard get in the salary cap era, but the league partners, the media and streaming potential revenue. If you're not a Top Ten media market, or a flashy market, regardless of the trade, the NHL will nix it, and probably nix a trade to a Canadian team... NHL wants in him ESPN/TNT land which is 7:30 PM Eastern/Central... start times which is the bread and basket of NHL viewers especially ... All Connor vs. Connor or a Connor game all the time... Sports leagues are cartels... Gretzky in LA was great for building expansion, but who the heck ever got to watch him back then? Same with McDavid, most of you can count on 1 hand how many times you stayed up to watch, I get HNIC in my area and it is still too late to watch him on a Saturday on the East Coast... Original Six territory...

To be fair, by national viewership, Buffalo is a big market.  Often, the Sabres are the biggest national TV draw in the league.  Maybe Buffalo would be acceptable to the broadcasters.

• Like (+1) 3

Surprised by how many responses in here include Tage/Dahlin, that’s not even a thought that crossed my mind

Feel like at the point that McDavid is getting traded it’s a prospect haul type of trade, not an exchange of elite players

If I’m Edmonton and it comes to trading McDavid, the last thing I want to do is add another elite player and more B prospects to a roster that clearly lacks the depth to win

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.