Post Modernism

Curt

This isn’t a purely political thought, but it does touch on many political areas.  I am wondering if anyone here has opinions on the post modern ideas/influences that have taken hold in a lot of areas of life in recent years?

I’ve recently become interested in exploring these ideas from a philosophical and practical standpoint.  It’s been incredibly interesting for me personally, and it’s really connected some dots in my mind.

Just curious if anyone else is interested in discussing such things.

A very recent example would be AI as part of the fourth industrial revolution. What seems to be a prominent concern is AI reducing the job market and yes, a Terminator scenario. I think it is way more likely AI effects jobs than birthing Skynet.

I sympathize with the concern over AI and the job market. If you are a programmer in your 20s you might want to diversify your IT skill set IMO. On the other hand, I think AI will lead to an increase in other IT jobs such as Net Admin, help desk, engineer, Sys Admin. 

AI should provide incentive for people to get an advanced education. This doesn’t have to be an overly expensive process. You can watch a YouTube series and pass a Sec+ A+, Net+. While it still remains a human position, programming is a good skill to have. There are free sites that will teach you Python as well.

I think AI can/will have a positive impact on society. People need to be willing to pursue those fields though which in part means having an aptitude. 

On 9/7/2023 at 2:52 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

A very recent example would be AI as part of the fourth industrial revolution. What seems to be a prominent concern is AI reducing the job market and yes, a Terminator scenario. I think it is way more likely AI effects jobs than birthing Skynet.

I sympathize with the concern over AI and the job market. If you are a programmer in your 20s you might want to diversify your IT skill set IMO. On the other hand, I think AI will lead to an increase in other IT jobs such as Net Admin, help desk, engineer, Sys Admin. 

AI should provide incentive for people to get an advanced education. This doesn’t have to be an overly expensive process. You can watch a YouTube series and pass a Sec+ A+, Net+. While it still remains a human position, programming is a good skill to have. There are free sites that will teach you Python as well.

I think AI can/will have a positive impact on society. People need to be willing to pursue those fields though which in part means having an aptitude. 

Yeah, AI is going to be a wild ride.  Whether it is helpful or harmful is really going to depend on its implementation, just like any other technology.

Not exactly what I was referring to by postmodernism though.

Postmodernism is a philosophy that (in general, I’m no expert) says something to the effect that everyone has their own individual reality, and that the reality and truths accepted by society at large are just social constructs that are used to oppress/control people.

At least that’s the general gist of it.  It’s generally in favor of breaking down societal norms in favor of greater personal freedom for individuals.

I guess the reason that I found the idea so interesting to begin with is that I was aware that some of this “norm breaking” is happening in a real way in our society, but I wasn’t really aware of the philosophical movement behind it.  When I started examining it, it was interesting how it fleshed out a lot of the current trends in our society and how they connect to eachother.

It was just a bit of an enlightening familiarizing myself with these ideas, and it made some of the things happening in society right now make a little bit more sense.

I was wonder if anyone else here had explored, or was interested in exploring, these ideas.