Frank Servalli’s Summer Tradebait Board

Brawndo

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Add DeMelo to the trade and I'd be interested as long as Reinbacher doesn't fall to 13.

13, UPL, and Jokiharju for 1 year deals on Hellebuyck and DeMelo seems fair.

It was interesting listening to goalie guru Kevin Woodley talk goalies and systems a while back on the radio about how most goalies need their team to play a certain style to maximize their effectiveness.

He specifically cited Hellebuyck and the Sabres as an example of a poor match.

At the time I wondered if that was part of the reason Comrie dropped off so much, coming out of Winnipeg’s system.

I love Hellebuyck, but I don’t think the Sabres should pay the price necessary to acquire him if they don’t intend to commit to him long-term.

You don’t give up #13 for a rental and he’s not going to have any interest in a short-term deal. He’s one of the league’s best. You don’t get him to be a bridge, you get him to be the man.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/seven-potential-off-season-suitors-for-jets-connor-hellebuyck/

What would you be willing to give up for Hellebuyck and Demelo or Pionk?

Hellebuyck has one more year at $6.2 and then is a UFA. Making a deal for him and one of the D would be 1 stop shopping.

13th OA, UPL, Joker would be a solid offer. The question is how long do you want Hellebuyck. You would have to sign him to an extension to keep him long term. Or is he just a one year rental while Levi takes over. That is a lot to give up for 1 year of Hellebuyck but it would easily put you in the playoffs.

It's probable that if Winnipeg were going to trade Hellebuyck, they would want a prime prospect, such as Savoie or Kulich, included in a deal. If that were the case, I would say don't make the deal. There is no question that if Hellebuyck was added to our roster, it would make this team a factor in the league. And if he were to be acquired, it would be a mistake to bring him on unless an extension was agreed to. My sense is that based on how our GM values his premier prospects, he would not make such a deal.  

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It was interesting listening to goalie guru Kevin Woodley talk goalies and systems a while back on the radio about how most goalies need their team to play a certain style to maximize their effectiveness.

He specifically cited Hellebuyck and the Sabres as an example of a poor match.

At the time I wondered if that was part of the reason Comrie dropped off so much, coming out of Winnipeg’s system.

I love Hellebuyck, but I don’t think the Sabres should pay the price necessary to acquire him if they don’t intend to commit to him long-term.

You don’t give up #13 for a rental and he’s not going to have any interest in a short-term deal. He’s one of the league’s best. You don’t get him to be a bridge, you get him to be the man.

If Levi wasn't on our team, I would be receptive to signing Hellebuyck and paying a premium price for him. That isn't the case. This is just my opinion but I think our GM is projecting Levi to be our long-term #1 goalie. I just don't see him giving up significant assets for this top tier goalie. 

• Agree 1

Attached is a link from the Buffalo News listing some of the defensemen who might be available in trades and from free agency. Many of the players will be available because of their respective team's cap pressures. Boston and Vegas might have players on the move because of their tight cap situation. What's apparent is that the Sabres have a number of options to pursue this offseason. What's interesting about the list is that Granato has had a relationship with a number of players. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/can-the-sabres-add-an-impactful-top-four-defenseman-this-summer/article_db0bec46-e917-11ed-b609-afcc88145cb4.html#tncms-source=login

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a link from the Buffalo News listing some of the defensemen who might be available in trades and from free agency. Many of the players will be available because of their respective team's cap pressures. Boston and Vegas might have players on the move because of their tight cap situation. What's apparent is that the Sabres have a number of options to pursue this offseason. What's interesting about the list is that Granato has had a relationship with a number of players. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/can-the-sabres-add-an-impactful-top-four-defenseman-this-summer/article_db0bec46-e917-11ed-b609-afcc88145cb4.html#tncms-source=login

Paywall.

Just now, Doohickie said:

Yes.  I didn't know that.  Now I do.

Anyway, let's get Grzelcyk because I want to here Rayzor try to pronounce that.

What that article shows is that there are a number of options to consider. Even if we can't get a #4 defender, there are a number of 4/5 defenders that would strengthen that unit. And those tweener type of defenders can be secured for a reasonable price. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.