Your Highlights of the Season So Far

GASabresIUFAN

Highlights of the Year So Far  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Highlight of the Year OT Winner Division

• Tuch Slays the Mighty Bruins on New Year's Eve
    • Lyubushkin Unassisted taking down TB for the first ever SH OT Winner by a Sabres in the regular season and his 1st as a Sabre.
    • Owen Power's us over Dallas for his 1st of the year
    • Cozens OT winner on Ryan Miller night
  2. 2. Highlight of the Year So Far Acheivements Division

• Sabres score 6 in the 3rd period and shutout LA 6-0 for our only shutout of the year
    • Thompson Scores a hatty and adds 3 assists for his 1st 6 pt night of the season as the Sabres demolish the Wings 8-3
    • Thompson scores 4 in the first (ties NHL record), adds a 5th (ties franchise record) and an assist to lead the Sabres pummeling of the Blue Jackets 9-4
    • Dahlin sets an NHL record by a defenseman with a 5 game goal scoring streak to start the season
    • Ryan Miller Number Retirement
  3. 3. Highlight of the Season so far single play (or fight) division

• Krebs fights Connor Clifton 1-21-2023
    • Other
    • Anderson stops 53 of 54 to help Buffalo beat Florida for the 1st time in 7 games and with Skinner propel the Sabres into a playoff spot.
    • Skinner get his 600th career point on a tough ankle shot to help propel the Sabres into a playoff spot
    • TIC-TAC-THOMPSON as the Sabres beat the Jets in WPG
    • Dahlin wipes out the Sharks' Neito

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So your saying there’s a chance.  

The Athletic’s model sucks.  It uses past seasons in it’s calculations.

What were the Sabres when the prediction was made? Slightly below .500? .500? Id bet prob about 10% of the teams in the position the Sabres were at that time would be sitting in 7th by points % at THIS stage. If you look at the other teams in that spot when the prediction was made, I think they are still there 

the model doesn’t suck, the Sabres are just breaking trend. Most teams DONT break the trend set in previous seasons. Every other year the athletic *also* gave us low odds - doesn’t really make sense to cherry pick this one 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, Thorny said:

Toronto oddly placed here, playoffs failures be damned 

I’ve mentioned this before but it’s really very quite common for young developing teams that ARE on track to have an “early arrival” year, followed by a step back year. 

The more I think about it, the more I’m tempted to expect something like that with Buffalo. 

As with players, it’s rare to see a consistent upwards trajectory. I’d caution anyone that expects smooth upward sailing once we finally do make it. 

By the same token, the idea they could surprise early fed into me going out on a limb and predicting playoffs THIS season 

I said this, in response to a topic you created about the athletic predictions, actually:

On 9/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, Thorny said:

We’ve seen it with many a rebuild. 

There’s always an “ahead of schedule” year. 

The first year we are “good”, the portents won’t have foretold it, this much is known.

It was always going to look like this 

On 9/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Well here is the first Preview of the upcoming season.  Sorry it's from the Athletic and it predicts we'll be the 4th worst team in the NHL.  Don't worry the pitchforks are already out. Dom Luszczyzsyn believes that Sabres will finish with 76 pts next season and actually be worse than the Flyers, Sens and Red Wings among 28 others.  Only Chicago, Mon and AZ project lower.  He doesn't even list JJP as a possible Sabres next season.  He is even using player data which includes data points from the RK era to make his projections.  

Obviously is much easier to predict the performance using analytic tools with veteran players coached by veteran coaches, and he is correct in that the Sabres have so many young players that you don't know how they will grow and develop.  Still one needs a little common sense when the data doesn't match the eye test.  This team turned the corner last year.  If this team fails to score 250+ and move into the mid 80's pt wise, I'll be very disappointed and so will management and the players.

This is his one saving grace:

HIs best case scenario IMHO has about a 75% chance of occurring.  His worst case 5%.

https://theathletic.com/3606971/2022/09/20/buffalo-sabres-2022-23-season-preview/

Anyway, If you find other previews please post them here so that we can bash them as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.