Hasn't the entire season been leading up to this series?

Spandrel

Right from the get-go this season and that 5-0 drubbing we took in our first game against Ottawa back in early October, it has seemed like the entire season has been leading to this match-up. If you would have asked me our chances back in January, I wouldn't have even given us a chance to stretch the series to 5 games, but following Hasek's injury, the team has rebounded to split the last 4 games.

I really think that this has the makings for THE playoff series of the 2006 Season, and I'm hoping we can stretch it to 7 games. The Senators have been the measuring stick and the hump for us to get over all season. The game that really sticks out in my mind was the 4-2 loss to them in mid-March. Following the Olympic break we were on an 8-game tear and even clawed to a tie for the lead in points, and an outright win in Ottawa would've given it to us, but following that loss, we went into a tailspin and lost 8 of the next 9 and wouldn't have any realistic hope of taking over the lead.

We climbed to the top of that hump, and just couldn't get over it. The question is "did we learn something from that last march up the hill to get us over it now?" I think that if any team can push the Sens, it is us, because we can roll out 4 true scoring lines, we are fast, and we have solid goal tending. Again, I'm just hoping we can stretch it to 7.

Sure seems that way...I was hoping for the Devils, but this was coming either way.

Can we slay the dragon? I'd say it's 60-40 against, but that's pretty close for a bunch of nobodys going up against a star-studded lineup.

As long as the Sabres play as well as they can, I'll be one happy camper. Of course, that probably means they win. :)

This series will be one to be remembered...whichever way it goes, i think sportcenter should hold 3/4 spots a night on their top ten plays list for the group of guys that are about to go at each other...this is what the NEW NHL is, high powered offenses going at it..if the NHL is doing this right, they better have their marketing guys ALL OVER this series..holy hell its wendsday...lets drop the puck now...GO SABRES

has the potential to be the best series of any this year or in several years past - it WILL go seven games. You think you were stoked at the philly series, holy hell, that series was only truly thrilling for a coupla hours - im thinking of the overtime and spurts in the third and fourth games. this should be nailbiting for three straight hours on seven different nights.

and this is what really stirs me up: we can not win this series on talent. we, however, can win this series on fight. we can win this series on clutch tending and the balls of a starved pit bull. thats what makes contemplating this all the more thrilling - that we, much more than them, will be relying on our ability to skate like hell, forecheck like we've never heard of breathing, and block shots like we really dont need faces. and to think that we're probably going to play exactly that way. we want this team bad, i think we've wanted this team bad all year. we know if we can take them we can take it all. Buffalo in seven. and then all the way.

j

Well it did seem obvious that the road to the Stanley Cup went through Ottawa and here we are. I know this. I have loved this season and this team since that first damn game against the Islanders and I'm not in anyway ready to see it end yet. I think the Sabres feel the same way and will be ready. If Miller gives us the chance to win I think the boys will put in enough goals. I don't think Ottawa has great goaltending at all and the Sabres can exploit that, but Miller has to be at his best. I hope Bucky Gleason or Jerry Sullivan come out and write an article saying he can't. Just to fire the boy up.

I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves. It will take a huge effort for the Sabres to beat Ottawa, but New Jersey or Calgary (two potential foes, should the Sabres beat Ottawa) wouldn't be too easy either. I think Buffalo could beat any of the West teams left, Calgary I am not so sure about!

I love that we have to beat the Sens to get to the Cup. I really feel like if we get past the Senators, we'll win the Cup this season.

I agree that we simply do not have the talent to stay with in the same building with Ottawa, but we do have a better coach, better goalie and I feel...more heart.

This series will be won by the team that plays with more heart and simply wants it more. It might be Ottawa...you would think those guys are hungry too, but Buffalo has beat our all expectations all season...no reason why they can't do the same now.

Regardless, I think this series will come down to special teams. Whoever will win that battle and is more productive on the PP and better on the PK, will take the series.

One thing that is different about this series is the mutual respect the fans and teams have for one another. Even Sens fans on their board don't think that this will be an easy series for the Sens to win. It is just going to be interesting because of how badly the Sabres were dominated early on, and how close the games were following the break.

I think it is an insanely tall order for the Sabres to win this series, but at least the last few games proved that they can beat the Sens. I'm not sure if we will win the series, but I really think it has the makings of a great series, win or lose.

I love that we have to beat the Sens to get to the Cup. I really feel like if we get past the Senators, we'll win the Cup this season.

I agree that we simply do not have the talent to stay with in the same building with Ottawa, but we do have a better coach, better goalie and I feel...more heart.

This series will be won by the team that plays with more heart and simply wants it more. It might be Ottawa...you would think those guys are hungry too, but Buffalo has beat our all expectations all season...no reason why they can't do the same now.

Regardless, I think this series will come down to special teams. Whoever will win that battle and is more productive on the PP and better on the PK, will take the series.

Topshelfcookies, you are alright in my book. Just so ya know. :D

I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves. It will take a huge effort for the Sabres to beat Ottawa, but New Jersey or Calgary (two potential foes, should the Sabres beat Ottawa) wouldn't be too easy either. I think Buffalo could beat any of the West teams left, Calgary I am not so sure about!

San Jose is scarier than Calgary is IMHO.

The thing is, while there are teams that CAN beat the Sabres, there are no teams (with the very slightly possible exception of Ottawa) that are clearly better than the Sabres. There are no teams that should beat the Sabres in less than 6 games, if at all. And there is no team that I do not think the Sabres COULD beat.

NJ and Calgary could give the Sabres fits due to their defensive 1st philosophies. The Sabres though could give both of them fits with their team speed and powerplay effectiveness.

Carolina without Cole does not scare me. Should they and Buffalo both win their series, I am certain that opinion will temper.

I think Colorado is relatively weak as playoff teams go, but IF Theodore decided to regain his form from ~3 years ago and some of the vets can play like they are still in their prime, they can be dangerous as well. Edmonton has probably taken their shot with beating Detroit. Anaheim or SJ would make for very interesting series as both have speed and fire power, and are getting good goaltending currently.

I guess that I'm basically saying however long the run lasts, we should see some great games the rest of the way.

San Jose is scarier than Calgary is IMHO.

The thing is, while there are teams that CAN beat the Sabres, there are no teams (with the very slightly possible exception of Ottawa) that are clearly better than the Sabres. There are no teams that should beat the Sabres in less than 6 games, if at all. And there is no team that I do not think the Sabres COULD beat.

NJ and Calgary could give the Sabres fits due to their defensive 1st philosophies. The Sabres though could give both of them fits with their team speed and powerplay effectiveness.

Carolina without Cole does not scare me. Should they and Buffalo both win their series, I am certain that opinion will temper.

I think Colorado is relatively weak as playoff teams go, but IF Theodore decided to regain his form from ~3 years ago and some of the vets can play like they are still in their prime, they can be dangerous as well. Edmonton has probably taken their shot with beating Detroit. Anaheim or SJ would make for very interesting series as both have speed and fire power, and are getting good goaltending currently.

I guess that I'm basically saying however long the run lasts, we should see some great games the rest of the way.

I wonder how the cross country travel would affect the teams. Playing at 7:00 est one night then 10:00 est

two nights later? Or are we too far into the season for it to matter?

Archived