The symbolic moment of the series

PASabreFan

Game 6. Late first period. Peter Forsberg takes a run at Max Afinogenov in the Flyer zone along the wall. In a cartoon moment, Max turns himself into a one-dimensional figure. All Forsberg catches is a whiff of the carbon dioxide that Max has just exhaled. Then Max lays a heavy hit on number 21, pissing him off big time. The Sabres had turned one of the best players in the world into just another dumb, dirty, stinkin' pylon, and Max had turned himself into a playoff warrior. Stanley Cup magic. As many said, you can't eat what you can't catch. The Flyers were roadkill. The Sabres roadrunners.

I think another moment that was symbolic was in the 2nd period tonight when Hatcher and someone else (i think Meyer) both floated back carelessly towards a puck that was heading for the philly corner....when suddenly mike grier cuts right between them, steals the puck and drags it in front of the net for a good scoring chance, while they watched. That, to me, sums up the Philly defense....slow and careless

Archived