This Day in Sabres History :: May 1

May 1, 1975

Guy Lafleur scores two goals in 27 seconds as the Canadiens whip the Sabres 7-0 in the Montreal Forum to get back in the Stanley Cup semifinal series with the Sabres, now trailing two games to one. Ken Dryden makes 27 saves for the shutout. While Roger Crozier replaced Gerry Desjardins in Game 1 at the Aud, this time it's Desjardins who spells Crozier.

May 1, 1980

Bob Nystrom scores off Bob Lorimer's rebound early in the second overtime as the Islanders win their second straight game at the Aud to take a two games to none lead in the Stanley Cup semifinals. Andre Savard had tied the game at 1 with eight minutes to go in the third period. Almost as bad for the Sabres, they lost Craig Ramsay for the rest of the playoffs to a broken wrist. Ramsay had not missed a game in seven years.

May 1, 1998

In Philadelphia, the Sabres shock the Flyers by winning Game 5 in overtime 3-2 to take the series four games to one. Michal Grosek, who scores four goals in the series, takes the rebound of his own shot off the post and lifts it over Sean Burke at 5:40 of overtime. The maddeningly inconsistent winger scored the first goal of the series and the last goal of the series, and two other huge goals in between. The first off Matthew Barnaby's rebound late in the first period of game 1 set the tone for the series, for the team and for himself. The last ended the Flyers season and sent the Sabres into the second round.

If Im not mistake I was drunk as hell in a bar where beers where 50 cent in Lycoming Pa for that game. I remember cheering with the only other Buffalo fan there while the rest of the place wanted to kill me. I was getting served underage up to that point, afterwards I left drunk thrown out for having no ID. This is of course the Philly game of '98

May 1, 1980

Bob Nystrom scores off Bob Lorimer's rebound early in the second overtime as the Islanders win their second straight game at the Aud to take a two games to none lead in the Stanley Cup semifinals. Andre Savard had tied the game at 1 with eight minutes to go in the third period. Almost as bad for the Sabres, they lost Craig Ramsay for the rest of the playoffs to a broken wrist. Ramsay had not missed a game in seven years.

I was in 8th grade and the second OT was too late for me to stay up but I'll never forget the headline in the sports the next day: "There's terrible trouble in Sabre Country"