Seeding Question

hopeleslyobvious

When they reseed after the first round is it based on original seed or points? I thought it was based on original seed, but I was reading on another board that they do it by points. Of course when I tried to look this up, I couldn't find anything. Anyone know?

The last time they played (in '04), teams maintained their seedings. So the top seed (TB) played the #7 seed (Montreal), and the #3 seed (Filly) who had 101 points hosted the #4 seed (Toronto) who had 103 points.

I have not read on any site that I would consider official that there are any changes to the format for this season.

You were right in the first place. Each team's original seed stays with them.

Assuming Sabres and Devils (both with a 2-0 advantage now) advance, the Sabres would play the second round against:

Senators if both Ottawa and Carolina win (2nd round would be 1-4 and 2-3)

Devils if Ottawa or Carolina wins (but not both) (2nd round would be 1/2-7/8 and 3-4)

Canadiens if Ottawa and Caolina both lose. (2nd round would be 3-8 and 4-7)

The last time they played (in '04), teams maintained their seedings. So the top seed (TB) played the #7 seed (Montreal), and the #3 seed (Filly) who had 101 points hosted the #4 seed (Toronto) who had 103 points.

I have not read on any site that I would consider official that there are any changes to the format for this season.

I hadn't read of a change anywhere official either, that's why I asked.

EDIT: As I said, I read it on another message board, and I wanted to make sure that it came from the "Todd" of that message board as opposed to someone more reliable.

Although I rarely advocate copying anything the NBA does, I think they have the right formula when they assign the division winners the top three seeds BUT assign home-court according to wins.

That way, you reward a weak division winner by letting them play the 6th seed instead of a better team in the first round, but you don't reward them so much that you give them all kinds of home advantages throughout the playoffs.

Under THAT system, the Sabres would have had the 4th seed and hosted Philly in the first round, just as they do now. But if they met New Jersey down the road, the Sabres (not the Devils) would have home ice by virtue of having a better record.

I think that's a fairer way to do it. Of course, if we were in the Devils' position I'd think the way we do it right now is just fine. :)

Although I rarely advocate copying anything the NBA does, I think they have the right formula when they assign the division winners the top three seeds BUT assign home-court according to wins.

That way, you reward a weak division winner by letting them play the 6th seed instead of a better team in the first round, but you don't reward them so much that you give them all kinds of home advantages throughout the playoffs.

Under THAT system, the Sabres would have had the 4th seed and hosted Philly in the first round, just as they do now. But if they met New Jersey down the road, the Sabres (not the Devils) would have home ice by virtue of having a better record.

I think that's a fairer way to do it. Of course, if we were in the Devils' position I'd think the way we do it right now is just fine. :)

I don't like the current seeding system. Never have, never will (even if it benefits the Sabres). I would rather see the division winners get automatic playoff berths, but then have seeding according to points.

I agree with you there. A division winner should get a first round home ice benefit but, after the "re-seeding" the home ice benefit should be by points. A division winner should not be penalized for being in a weaker division. Likewise, they should not be rewarded unnecessarily either.

Another option would be to allocate home ice based on the 2 teams' head to head record during the regular season.

Archived