Notes to Self:

Alaska Darin

1. Anyone who says there is no hitting in the NHL needs to take the same memory test Umberger failed. Watch Calgary on any night they lace 'em up. The difference between the Flames and the Flyers is the horseheads can actually skate, which makes it a little easier to actually hit someone on the OTHER team (nice job, Frankenhatcher).

2. I agree that there isn't enough fighting in the "new" NHL but that's been a problem for over a decade and fighting isn't down appreciably from the last season. There haven't been many playoff fights since the 80s, either.

3. Hitchcock is getting WORKED by Lindy AGAIN. This time he doesn't have the officials in his pocket.

4. No one is ever going to convince me that him telling Lindy to "go eff himself" wasn't a calculated attempt by a smart guy who knows how dire his current situation is.

5. Dressing Peters will anger the hockey gods, as will going over to the Flyers' "tard" board and attempting any discourse with them. A word to the wise.

6. Max has been horrible in this series - but the Flyers are so afraid of him it hasn't hurt us a bit. He needs to turn it down a half notch.

7. Timmy Connelly is a totally different hockey player than he was 2 seasons ago. Terrific.

8. Darcy is a smart mother. Jochen for a pair of twos, Briere for Gratton, Drury for Warrener(win for both teams),Teppo, Lydman (MUCH better last night), etc.

9. I'm thoroughly sick of the elbows being thrown by the Flyers (especially Hatcher and Forsberg) and the after whistle crap that continues to fester because the officials won't send Forsberg off because he's Forsberg. I like the physical stuff but if I can see it from my house, it's a penalty.

10. Philly is ready to fold it's tent but they ain't going quietly. We're gonna have to put up with some stuff in the first 10 minutes of game 3.

7. Timmy Connelly is a totally different hockey player than he was 2 seasons ago. Terrific.

I agree totally. His vision with the puck is amazing. His assists on the two goals were great. The pass across the ice to Drury for the one timer then what looked like a no-look pass to Al for the one timer. His stick handling is great too. Maybe his 2 year break made him realize some things. When he gets the puck, amazing things are going to follow.

on the contrary, i dont think philly is ready to fold its tent andit would be disastrous for us to think so. game 2 exposed them in everyway possible for them to be exposed, as slow, one dimensional, with weak goaltending and a poor temper and judgment. but thats not the whole story on the flyers. expect for them to come out ramped up for game three, and expect the game to be close. they beat us during the regular season, and they beat a hell of a lot of other teams to get the fifth seed. they'll come out with their pants up next time. the forsberg line may seriously benefit from being at home and being able to avoid the drury matchup. Niittymaki may also prove to be very effective.

I agree, however, wholeheartedly that max has been a nullfactor, and its especially ironic since i thought he'd be skating circles around the flyers. maybe he's afraid of working in close quarter with them, and getting hit? Maybe the Flyers are just so afraid of our speed in general that max hasnt found them in a spot to catch them unprepared. Maybe Max just needs to put his nose in the mix, because if Dumont can undress the Flyers defense and skate in alone and score, you know Afinogenov is more than capable.

2. I agree that there isn't enough fighting in the "new" NHL but that's been a problem for over a decade and fighting isn't down appreciably from the last season. There haven't been many playoff fights since the 80s, either.

The game is entertaining now, in and of itself. Fights aren't needed to dress up boring regular season games and pad attendance. You know why fights almost completely disappeared in the playoffs? Because people cared about the hockey. I say good riddance. The NHL seems to content to just let fighting die out -- I would not be opposed to an outright ban this offseason.

I think Max may be having a hard time adjusting to just how friggin slow the Flyers defensemen are. On most of his dekes he fakes one way and then goes right back the direction he was going after the defenseman reacts. Against the Flyers, by the time he dekes one way and back the other way, the Frankenstein guarding him hasn't realized he made the move in the first place and is right there in good position.

Seriously though, all he needs to do is use his speed more and try to stick handle less. I saw it a couple times tonight...where he didn't mess around with the puck but took it wide instead and got a couple of bad angle shots off...the next step for him is to take it wide then cut to the middle in front of the goalie. He's never been a fan of that.

on the contrary, i dont think philly is ready to fold its tent...

I think they are a two goal defecit in game 3 away from complete collapse. IF they can redeem themselves in the next game, they have a chance but that will only happen if the Sabres read the headlines and get full of themselves. With guys like Drury and Grier in the "room", I can't see that happening.

Archived