Hockey books?

SDS

as mentioned previously, I will be playing in a league next month and I want to be prepared (meaning, I don't want to embarrass myself). There is a big difference in watching a game and actually playing it.

Can anyone recommend a good strategery book, so I can get myself a little more prepared mentally to be positionally sound?

Sorry, I've primarily been coaching at the development level, and as such, most (all) of my books are skills focused not strategy (positionally) focused.

I'd probably be able to recommend some good titles in about 2 months as I need to get ready to either coach a mite team or help coach a mite and squirt team.

as mentioned previously, I will be playing in a league next month and I want to be prepared (meaning, I don't want to embarrass myself). There is a big difference in watching a game and actually playing it.

Can anyone recommend a good strategery book, so I can get myself a little more prepared mentally to be positionally sound?

assuming you are playing in a men's league, my best advice would be is relax, don't take it too serious, and always make sure you designate someone each week to bring the beer.

i offer up this advice as a player and official of men's leagues for over 10 years. (fyi - refs despise most men's leagues, so don't make it any worse by acting as though it is game 7 of the Cup Finals...) :rolleyes:

assuming you are playing in a men's league, my best advice would be is relax, don't take it too serious, and always make sure you designate someone each week to bring the beer.

i offer up this advice as a player and official of men's leagues for over 10 years. (fyi - refs despise most men's leagues, so don't make it any worse by acting as though it is game 7 of the Cup Finals...) :rolleyes:

What he said. :)

Look for the guy on your team that isn't the flashiest, most gifted player, yet always seems to consistently make plays. He's the guy you need to talk to about the mental game.

The only strategy book I remember reading was The Thinking Man's Guide to Hockey, but I believe it was written back in the 70's.

For a good hockey read I recommend The Game by Ken Dryden.

There are different levels of being "serious". I want to go out, bust my ass, improve my game, be a great teammate, while recognizing that it is a "for fun" league. Part of the fun for me is improving my game and making the most of my opportunities while on the ice.

Plus, I don't know a soul on my new team and it always helps if you aren't the worst player on the ice. :)

Archived