Sabres achilles heel: play in their end

PromoTheRobot

...we would not be where we are. It's the one thing that has me concerned going into the playoffs. They are too vulneable to a press in their own end. It feels like every time Brian Campbell gets forechecked, he retreats behind the net. Miller looks like he's ready for the playoffs, and the forwards, but they have to do something about solving the forecheck, and just clearing their end!

PTR

Yep, it's a good thing we had a goaltender back there last night. Otherwise, we would have lost by 30-some goals. (Smart ass.)

I was more worried before the last five games or so. I see the defense rounding into form. It's 1999 again for Jay McKee. Numminen looks rested and smooth. Lydman is coming back. Campbell is doing his thing (his good thing). Kalinin seems OK now. Last night was probably a bad night to judge the defense, or any other part of the Sabres game. Montreal was hell bent to win and clinch a playoff spot. The Sabres were in the belly of the beast -- and still won.

All that said, yes, the way this team is constructed and the way we attack, the D is going to look bad at times. We WILL need great goaltending to succeed. But any team can say that, right?

Yep, it's a good thing we had a goaltender back there last night. Otherwise, we would have lost by 30-some goals. (Smart ass.)

I was more worried before the last five games or so. I see the defense rounding into form. It's 1999 again for Jay McKee. Numminen looks rested and smooth. Lydman is coming back. Campbell is doing his thing (his good thing). Kalinin seems OK now. Last night was probably a bad night to judge the defense, or any other part of the Sabres game. Montreal was hell bent to win and clinch a playoff spot. The Sabres were in the belly of the beast -- and still won.

All that said, yes, the way this team is constructed and the way we attack, the D is going to look bad at times. We WILL need great goaltending to succeed. But any team can say that, right?

So you're saying is the Sabres have no problem with the forecheck? No problem clearing the zone? Look I'm not digging for negatives in what is probably the best Sabres season ever, but I see a pattern. The Sabres get in trouble when the other team forechecks. Our D can't seem to get out of their end.

PTR

Absolutely, I see a problem. I've been railing against it as much as anyone on this board. But I see improvement over the last two weeks or so and am optimistic the D can play well enough in the playoffs for the team to be successful. With our offensive philosophy and the "new NHL," though, at times the defense is going to be leaky. That's why we're going to need outstanding goaltending.

Archived