This Day in Sabres History :: April 7

April 7, 1973: Before a sellout crowd of 15,668 at the Aud in the franchise's first home playoff game, the Sabres dominate the Canadiens, outshooting them 44-27. But thanks to Ken Dryden's heroics and a "hosing" from the ref in the words of coach Joe Crozier, Montreal wins 5-2 to take a three-games-to-nothing lead in the best-of-seven series. Two Hab goals in 16 seconds in the second period put the visitors up 3-1.

April 7, 1984: The Quebec Nordiques win Game 3 of the best of five Adams Division Semifinal 4-1 in Quebec and sweep the Sabres out of the playoffs. Former Sabre J.F. Sauve has the winning goal.

April 7, 1984: The Quebec Nordiques win Game 3 of the best of five Adams Division Semifinal 4-1 in Quebec and sweep the Sabres out of the playoffs. Former Sabre J.F. Sauve has the winning goal.

Boy I hated the best of 5 format. Wasn't J.F. Sauve related to Bob?

J.F. was in the league twenty-five years too early, he skated around like a waterbug, and was perfect for the larger ice surface in Quebec, he would be a star in today's league, but was too small and not strong enough for most of the hockey then played in the Adams.

Boy I hated the best of 5 format. Wasn't J.F. Sauve related to Bob?

J.F. was in the league twenty-five years too early, he skated around like a waterbug, and was perfect for the larger ice surface in Quebec, he would be a star in today's league, but was too small and not strong enough for most of the hockey then played in the Adams.

Best of 5 was bad BUT the best of 3 was horrible. I still have nightmares of Ed Staniowski standing on his head and very nearly eliminating a much superior Sabres squad after stealing game one.