He doesn't know Jack in the D Zone

BuffalOhio

Has anyone noticed that when Jack and Samson play together, Jack takes the face-offs, but Samson plays the center position in the defensive zone?  If you haven't noticed, watch during the next game.  You'll see Samson down below the goal line, battling away while Jack floats around near the wing.  

Now don't get me wrong - I love Jack Eichel and what he will do for the Sabres someday.  That being said, his defensive zone awareness is atrocious.  How can this still be a problem in year 2?  

Watch him in the D Zone - he's lost and tentative.

I've been wanting to talk about this for a while, but after his horrendous giveaway that ended up in Chaput's goal last night at the END of a penalty kill, I had to mention it.

And WHY is he on the ice at the end of penalty kills and the end of periods when he is awful defensively?  Is this some way of getting him to learn?  I'd rather not have him learning during games that this team needs to win.  That's what practice is for.

/rant off

"How can this still be a problem in year 2"

I'm sorry to tell ya, but Jack is probably going to be bad defensively his whole career, haha. At least mediocre.

Pat Kane is, I imagine Tyler Seguin still is as well. We're lucky to have Samson and ROR around to mitigate it.

That's fine.  I get it.  Keep him off the PK and end of periods when protecting the lead.  I don't want him blocking shots anyway.

That's fine.  I get it.  Keep him off the PK and end of periods when protecting the lead.  I don't want him blocking shots anyway.

I was totally on board with the strategy of having Eich out for the last few seconds of the PK at first and liked when Dan started doing it, but I bet he stops after last night, and you/he are probably right. It cost us two goals and there was a game recently where he took a shot off the ankle that had me cringing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.