GDT: Buffalo at Montreal 3-25-14 at 7:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

FA's don't want to sign here for one main reason:

The city of Buffalo and all the stereotypes and stigmas that go with it, however misguided they may be.

Struggling to ever ice a legit cup contender certainly contributes, but even when/if the Sabres manage to be among the elite teams in the league the recruiting problem will remain as compared to other top markets who also are competitive.

The recruiting problem is very real, and will only ever abate to the extent that winning hockey allows, but it will always be there.

I'm not just talking about failing to ice a competitive team - I'm talking about the acceptance, of everlasting mediocrity, it was signing bad players to bad contracts, it was letting star players walk for nothing again and again, it was keeping underachievers around until their value had gone through the floor, and it was how nobody was ever held accountable for all of the above.

If you're a free agent whose name is not Ville Leino, I get the feeling your reply to Darcy Regier would've been a resounding "heeeeeeelllllllll nooooooooooo........!!!" as well.

Well, a good GM would have been able to take what the Sabres currently had and turned this team around much quicker then Darcys plan to gut the franchise and start from sub-rock bottom.......

He left them in a bad spot by starting the gut, which led to making it necessary to get rid of guys like Miller and Vanek before they walked for nothing cause they didn't want anything to do with a long gut rebuild

The damage done to this franchise by Regier is so extensive that I do not believe this to be true.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.