I think a rebuild even with a new GM is going to take 3 years +

SabresBillsFan

Okay even if we draft #1-3 this year I still don't see this team being a playoff contender next year. I see this as a 3 years + Rebuild. The players coming out of junior of late are no Crosby or Stamkos. Just look at Edmonton they have had a ton of top picks the last few years and still dont seem like they are ready for the next step. Plus many teams arent letting their top players hit unrestricted free agency. The quick turn around for teams like Ottawa and Minnesota these teams already had a ton of young talent in the system where as Buffalo doesnt really have that much. Plus the year Philly turned it around they got Briere, Hartnell and Timonen. Teams aren't letting players go like this anymore unless they are going to command 100+ million. Plus when you factor in realignment that is going to make this really hard on Buffalo. Should be an interesting offseason for sure. What are your thought?

Okay even if we draft #1-3 this year I still don't see this team being a playoff contender next year. I see this as a 3 years + Rebuild. The players coming out of junior of late are no Crosby or Stamkos. Just look at Edmonton they have had a ton of top picks the last few years and still dont seem like they are ready for the next step. Plus many teams arent letting their top players hit unrestricted free agency. The quick turn around for teams like Ottawa and Minnesota these teams already had a ton of young talent in the system where as Buffalo doesnt really have that much. Plus the year Philly turned it around they got Briere, Hartnell and Timonen. Teams aren't letting players go like this anymore unless they are going to command 100+ million. Plus when you factor in realignment that is going to make this really hard on Buffalo. Should be an interesting offseason for sure. What are your thought?

Firstly:

07 - Kane - 72 points

08 - Stamkos - 46 points

09 - Tavares - 54 points

10 - Hall - 42 points (in 65 games)

11 - RNH - 52 points (in 62 games)

12 - Yakupov - On track for 40 points in 82 games

Stamkos had one of the worst first seasons for a first overall pick, chances our MacKinnon will do better than Stamkos did in his first season.

Secondly, the reason the Oilers are failing is a couple of reasons:

1) Dodge goaltending (but goaltending doesn't matter on this forum as Miller is 'average' so i'll move on)

2) Dodge defence - it got better with Shultz, but it is still holey

3) Too many stars - might seem like a weird thing to say, but there is only one puck and you might find they would be better having more of a mix of people willing to do the dirty work etc. (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov etc.)

4) Too young - these guys are barely 20 and they are being asked to do all the ehavy lifting, they are probably trying to get their feet under them and grow as a person as much as they are trying to score goals. Young players asked to carry the team rarely do it well e.g. Myers. There are a few exceptions - most notably Oveckkin, Crosby and Toews, but Ovi and Crosby have (had? in Ovie's case) skill you just can't stop and Toews is a very very mature guy and a great leader (Captain Serious)

5) Their stars are not carrying them - ties into the one above, but RNH is having a Stafford style season

The Canadians turned their season around in one offseason. From 15th to 1st in the East. It can be done. I really don't understand why people think this team is so far away. We have 8/9 guys who are below 23 and could make the roster next year (Foligno, Hodson, Ennis, Armia, Grigo, Pysyk, Myers, Tropp, 1st rounder this year, McNabb). We might be 3 years off competing, but I would expect the playoffs next year.

Realignment might make it harder but look at the teams in our division:

Tampa Bay - As bad as us

Detroit - Bubble team now

Florida - As bad as us

Toronto - Bubble team who always start fast and drop down as the season wears on

Ottawa - Will be very good when healthy

Montreal - Will probably be very good

Boston - Very good

I don't think it is too bad personally. This team is awful, but I don't think there is no end in sight

The Canadians turned their season around in one offseason. From 15th to 1st in the East. It can be done. I really don't understand why people think this team is so far away. We have 8/9 guys who are below 23 and could make the roster next year (Foligno, Hodson, Ennis, Armia, Grigo, Pysyk, Myers, Tropp, 1st rounder this year, McNabb). We might be 3 years off competing, but I would expect the playoffs next year.

I don't think it is too bad personally. This team is awful, but I don't think there is no end in sight

Very true. We have players (young and old) with talent. What we need is an infusion of heart and desire. That can be done with the addition (and maybe subtraction) of just a few players IF you have a GM willing and able to do so. The GM also has to be willing to ship out any slackers as the 2013-2014 season progresses. In a somewhat related note, I've said in another thread somewhere that there are players on this team who look like they are (still) out of shape. Much was made of Myers coming in at the beginning of the season out of shape - and he was playing in Europe prior to the lockout! The players have to be serious about fitness and conditioning (plus their Strength and Conditioning coach should be gone with the rest of the coaching staff).

Montreal is a good example of what can (and should) be done with an underperforming team. A new GM and front office, new coaching staff and the deadwood in the locker room sent packing. Sounds like a prescription for what ails the Sabres.... :thumbsup:

The Canadians turned their season around in one offseason. From 15th to 1st in the East. It can be done.
Montreal is a good example of what can (and should) be done with an underperforming team. A new GM and front office, new coaching staff and the deadwood in the locker room sent packing. Sounds like a prescription for what ails the Sabres.... :thumbsup:

this is where i'm at. we're not doomed to a 3-year rebuild. a re-tooled sabres team can make the playoffs next year. not saying they will, but it's well within the realm of possible.

also, big ups for the use of "dodge" as an adjective to describe edmonton's defensive problems.

this is where i'm at. we're not doomed to a 3-year rebuild. a re-tooled sabres team can make the playoffs next year. not saying they will, but it's well within the realm of possible.

also, big ups for the use of "dodge" as an adjective to describe edmonton's defensive problems.

It depends on what the goal is. When I hear "rebuild" I think of turning this team around to being a Cup contender. "re-tooled" as you put it reminds me of what the Sabres have been doing in recent years. Add a couple of players and try to sneak into the playoffs. I think many fans are tired of just trying to sneak into the playoffs.

IMO, the Sabres are at very low point when it comes to talent and depth. Possibly one of the worst periods in franchise history. It's time for an outsider to come in with a fresh set of eyes and a clear vision of how to successfully "rebuild" the Buffalo Sabres into a Stanley Cup contender. A man capable of both rebuilding the Sabres and restocking the farm system with talent. I would like to see that person come in with complete autonomy. I want to see a hockey person come in not having to answer to Ted Black or Terry Pegula when it comes to personnel decisions.

With proper management and coaching next year we should be able to push for a playoff spot. After that, I feel what we choose to do with Pominville, Vanek, and Miller will have as much to do with where we are in 2 years as anything. The only one i see playing here beyond next year is Vanek. We won't want Poms and Miller will try to finish his career with a team that he can possibly win a cup with.

My opinion is you trade Miller and Poms within the next 6 months. This will help us build up our farm system talent (we need it desperately) and resign Vanek over the summer. This way you don't spend all next season with your only true goal scorer being a distraction with constant trade rumors,.

Hopefully, TP finds someone capable to make these decisions. If he stays with DR these discussions are a mute point.

It depends on what the goal is. When I hear "rebuild" I think of turning this team around to being a Cup contender. "re-tooled" as you put it reminds me of what the Sabres have been doing in recent years. Add a couple of players and try to sneak into the playoffs. I think many fans are tired of just trying to sneak into the playoffs.

more than fair.

i think that you can contemporaneously re-tool and rebuild.

setting aside whether that's true, i am more concerned with why i hyphenated only one of those words.

Archived