New players: End of season review

RazielSabre

Just wondered what everyones opinion was of the new players and their individual play this season. I'll include Hodgson and Sulzer but its not really that fair.

• Ehrhoff: Liked him, became an important top 2 Dman for us and we really missed his presence. A healthy season from him and Myers is something I look forward to greatly.
  • Leino: Whats to say that hasn't been said already. Flashes of brilliance but a bad, bad season. Maybe next season, too soon for me to condemn him
  • Regehr: Not sure, played his game well but I can't help but feel like I was expecting a better season, don't know why though. I do still think he plays an important role and that with Weber or McNabb we have a great 2nd/3rd pairing.
  • Hodgson: Too soon to tell but I like him, good potential for the future.
  • Sulzer: Stunned, didn't expect much and I'd be really annoyed if we didnt sign him again for next season.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ehrhoff: came down to Earth offensively but overall he still made a presence. I doubt he'll score 20+ in the future but 15 + 40 to 60 assists per year would be nice.

Leino: he showed up for about 10 or 15 of the games this year, he played better near the end of the season impact wise but terrible season. I agree in not judging him quite yet based on only one off year.

Regehr: I'm neither impressed or disapointed, he came and did exactly what I expected. Play mostly solid defense, especially around the net, and be a mentor.

Hodgson: I like him already, just hope he can play consistantly at the levels he played near the end. Work ethic based off his summer program gives me hope.

Sulzer: A diamond in the rough, where the hell did he come from, SIGN HIM DARCY!

Ehrhoff: Great pick up! Took a bit for him to gel with the team but he really came around the end of the season! Loves the playing time, seems to be a very athletic player. His absence obviously showed how important he is to the D.

Leino: Looked like a bust to start the year. He found a way to change his game to try and help the team since his scoring was gone. He obviously has talent, but I don't think it can be fully utilized in this league. His contract is a burden. I was supporting him through his bad times since he showed some signs of improvement but when I heard that he was more concerned about seeing his buddies in Philly when the Sabres got knocked out leads me to believe he really doesn't care. He's barely played 200 games in the NHL, he's 28 years old and working on his 3rd team. Maybe he can't stick with a team for this reason. Nobody will trade for his contract, if there is an opportunity to fill his spot I say waive him and eat the contract.

Regehr: I think he is more important than we think. A great solid D-man, I think the fact that he's not flashy might give people the wrong impression that he's not important. I think he is, I think he's a very important part of this D. Especially if/when McNabb comes up next year. He's very similar and could learn a lot from Regehr.

Hodgson: I think he got undeserved criticism for not scoring his first 10 games. He's obviously talented and seems to be very disciplined in working on his game and keeping in shape. I think he'll fit in well as a 2a or 2b center along with Ennis.

Sulzer: He looked solid but he was also on the ice for a lot of goals against. If he can keep up his play he deserves a shot as the 6th D-man. Worst case scenario is he'll be a great 7th D-man. He hasn't played many games in the NHL and will try hard to make an impression. Def worth signing!

Archived