Life in the KHL

Derrico

While I'm not completely disagreeing with you, do you really think that hockey in, say, Spain or Italy is going to be any more successful than NFL Europe? I think the NHL's expansion into southern cites in the US shows that just because you put teams in places, they may not draw fans if they don't already know the sport.

Besides, hockey would be competing with (although not as much in the winter) F1, MotoGP, World Superbike, Rugby (both league and union), and basketball, among other things in a lot of places.

You bring up a very good point. Take a look at the European countries where hockey is firmly established. Now take a look at the most populated countries of Europe. Other than Russia (not really sure how that population breaks up between Europe and Asia) and Germany, none of the most populous nations have much if anything to do with hockey. Sweden, Finland, and the Czech Republic are pretty far down that list. I'm also hesitant to label Germany as a hockey nation. They've produced a few players and they do have their pro leagues, but I've never seen anything to suggest that they aren't exactly the higest caliber. It seems like they tend to draw some of the lower tier college kids.

While ice - hockey in USA only takes like #10 spot, i mean its behind college basketball and college football even. only ones crying would be the canadians for having a 2nd tier league

by that time.

Republic are pretty far down that list. I'm also hesitant to label Germany as a hockey nation. They've produced a few players and they do have their pro leagues, but I've never seen anything to suggest that they aren't exactly the higest caliber. It seems like they tend to draw some of the lower tier college kids.

Oh, other point, as you mentioned College Sports. The two sports mentioned (football and basketball) effectively have no minor leagues in the US. As much as I'm not into college sports (going to UB during the lean years does that to you), I have to admit that if I loved football or basketball enough that the pro leagues weren't enough, those are the only choices left.

Archived