An age-old question (or two)

dudacek

I was scanning through our roster in the new Hockey News Yearbook and was struck by the fact the Sabres now have just two guys born in the 1970s.

One of them (Kotalik) is unlikely to be on the team. The other is Hecht.

Even though the new guys we brought in are veterans, they are just 27, 29 and 31 — young enough to be easily considered part of the core for the next three to five years.

That leads to two observations:

1. It is Darcy's belief he can best deliver on the "Cup in the next three years" pledge by TPegs simply by adding to his core built around the 2004/05 Amerks. That this is a team for that window is certainly supported by demographics, in that virtually all the key players are in their prime and should continue to be during the promised window;

and...

2. Any sense Darcy feels the need to prop up that group with vets like Mike Grier is gone. The core players are now the vets. It's up the them to lead the way.

That leads to my questions:

1. Would you have taken the path Darcy has, or would you have traded off parts of the core with idea of building around Myers?

and...

2. Do you believe the core is mature enough now to handle the leadership role?

As to question 1, I would have traded parts of the core because I believe that they are not capable of coming up big in the playoffs and I would want to replace them with proven playoff performers.

And that leads to these two thoughts. 1. It takes two to tango and we may very well might not get good value in return. and 2. Maybe, just maybe, with a new support group around them they can rise to the occassion this May.

Question 2, IMO leadership is not about maturity. It is something different. It is intangible, and you either have it or you don't. And I still don't think this core group has it.

We'll see.

*cautiously optimistic*

That leads to my questions:

1. Would you have taken the path Darcy has, or would you have traded off parts of the core with idea of building around Myers?

and...

2. Do you believe the core is mature enough now to handle the leadership role?

1. Darcy is off to a good start. Trading major current players may not have been an immediately available option. Nothing wrong with harvesting talent.

2. Leadership isnt about age. I dont think anyone in the "core" is a standout leader, although Vanek might be the closest. When I think of a traditional leader, someone in the vein of an Iginla or Bobby Clarke or a Messier, the Sabres do not currently have one of these types IMO.

Archived