Hecht?

sabres1970

Freeman--one correction: Campbell was lost out of intelligence, not incompetence. There's no way he should have had anything NEAR the deal he got in Chicago. And that includes 5X5, and even 5X4. The guy was a decent puck-mover and had one great hit. For years, I was groaning every time his skates hit the ice, until he finally figured it out. He was not a big loss at all.

I agree with this. Campbell was more than a decent puck mover however. He brought great skill on the offensive side as D man. He really shined with San Jose for a bit as well, but I wouldn't want that hangman's noose of a contract with us either.

I agree with this. Campbell was more than a decent puck mover however. He brought great skill on the offensive side as D man. He really shined with San Jose for a bit as well, but I wouldn't want that hangman's noose of a contract with us either.

Does really shined mean that me made top ten plays one time with a spin-o-rama goal??

Freeman--one correction: Campbell was lost out of intelligence, not incompetence. There's no way he should have had anything NEAR the deal he got in Chicago. And that includes 5X5, and even 5X4. The guy was a decent puck-mover and had one great hit. For years, I was groaning every time his skates hit the ice, until he finally figured it out. He was not a big loss at all.

It always bugs me when he gets lumped in with the other two. Yes, they could have negotiated earlier, but they were talking to him through that entire season. Then they willingly moved him and got an actual return.

Does really shined mean that me made top ten plays one time with a spin-o-rama goal??

You must of only caught the one highlight reel goal, I on the other hand had the opportunity to catch many Sharks games when he was with them. He played much better than you are crediting him for offensively in San Jose, as well as he did here.

Well, the deal he got from Chicago is really beside the point (and, I must note, a bit of TG/LQ spin that is beneath everyone here). I think $5MM x 5 years for Soupy would have been a great contract for the Sabres, both then and now. I agree that he was a disaster waiting to happen in the defensive zone for a long time, but he figured it out in 2005 and became a high-quality offensive defenseman (this btw is what gives me lots of hope for Sekera) who was well liked both externally and, I believe, internally. Losing him, IMHO, was another huge nail in the post-Black Sunday coffin and another telling indicator that the Sabres had fully reverted to Mickey Mouse organization status.

As for intelligence vs incompetence -- absolutely not. He would've signed for $5MM x 5 years in October 2007. The Sabres said no. Then as February 2008 approached, they finally got around to offering him $29MM for 6 years -- i.e. almost the identical contract. LQ confirmed this specifically on the radio. So, they had him in their organization for a full decade (they drafted him in 1997), but they couldn't figure out what they were willing to pay him until another 4 months had gone by -- by which time it was too late. Yes, it would have been a bad move to give him the contract that Chicago gave him (although it must be said that they won a Cup in his 2nd season there), but it was far from intelligently handled by the Sabres.

It always bugs me when he gets lumped in with the other two. Yes, they could have negotiated earlier, but they were talking to him through that entire season. Then they willingly moved him and got an actual return.

While you're right that them getting a return for him made it a somewhat less terrible outcome than the Drury/Briere debacle, the Soupy situation was also a debacle. Its only redeeming quality is that it wasn't a team-destroying bloodbath the way Drury/Briere was. But it was still terrible.

While you're right that them getting a return for him made it a somewhat less terrible outcome than the Drury/Briere debacle, the Soupy situation was also a debacle. Its only redeeming quality is that it wasn't a team-destroying bloodbath the way Drury/Briere was. But it was still terrible.

While I'm aware this is completely based on hindsight, If we hadn't moved Soupy, i wouldn't have a jersey with the number 57 on it hanging behind me.

I'll take Tyler Myers over Brian Campbell any day.

While I'm aware this is completely based on hindsight, If we hadn't moved Soupy, i wouldn't have a jersey with the number 57 on it hanging behind me.

I have a Myers jersey too and am also very happy that Myers is a Sabres. But the Sabres didn't get Myers with the pick they got for Soupy. They got Ennis (who is a good and potentially very good player).

Actually, it is number 63 who plays for Buffalo because of the Brian Campbell deal. That would be the other Tyler drafted in the same draft. San Jose's pick that year as a top seed in the Western Conference was #29 in the first round, and the Sabres used that pick to draft Tyler Ennis. Great pick, nonetheless.

I have a Myers jersey too and am also very happy that Myers is a Sabres. But the Sabres didn't get Myers with the pick they got for Soupy. They got Ennis (who is a good and potentially very good player).

Actually, it is number 63 who plays for Buffalo because of the Brian Campbell deal. That would be the other Tyler drafted in the same draft. San Jose's pick that year as a top seed in the Western Conference was #29 in the first round, and the Sabres used that pick to draft Tyler Ennis. Great pick, nonetheless.

No kidding? huh... i always thought it was the other way around. Ennis is the next one on my list though so my point (kinda) still stands :oops:

Thanks for the correction fellas

Yeah, but who got it worse, us or San Jose?

Hecht is naturally a winger not a center. He is a much more effective center than a winger as well. Don't forget the Pominville has a sliced achilles and wont be ready for the start of the season. If Luke Adam makes the team, look for him to center the 3rd line between Hecht and Kotalik/kassian(depending on if kassian beats out Ales for the job) or Hecht and Gerbe - look for Boyes bouncing back and fourth between the second and third line with Gerbe as well.

Don't forget that we are pushed right up against the cap and still have 3 prominent players to sign(Enroth, Gragnani and Sekera) and we still don't have the number 1 center we were apparently out to get this offseason. A trade almost seems imminent to me.

http://716hockey.com/pay-the-swede/

Boyes is versatile though. I know some fans say he didn't do much during the playoffs but he actually increased his points per game pace with Buffalo after being acquired from St. Louis, playing RW, not centre which he played with the Blues.

Until Pommer recovers from his injury, I see Boyes as the RW on the 2nd line.

Archived