PK Unit

Tom Backyard

Last season, out of the top 10 skaters in SH time, 5 were forwards.

SH TOI/Season

Myers 215:42

Grier 198:30

Leopold 182:53

Gaustad 163:56

Montador 151:38

Pominville 142:57

Sekera 138:35

Hecht 129:23

Connolly 117:20

Link to Stats

With Connolly, Grier (presumably), and Niedermeyer (12th on the team with 50:58) gone, which forwards pick up that PK time?

Roy will be back, and he is certainly on the PK (50:58 in 35 games).

Leino logged a total of 44 seconds in Shorthanded time last season, so he is no answer.

Someone is going to have to step up.

Any thoughts on who it might be?

I'm thinking Gerbe could be a nice surprise here. Kid plays with a lot of heart and since he'll likely be on the 3rd line for a while, also a good way to get him some more ice time and confidence.

Stafford will move into this role as we saw him killing a bunch of penalties in the playoffs. I imagine the 8 PK forwards would likely be (assuming said guy is not injured or in the box at that time): Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Gaustad, Stafford, Kaleta, any 2 of the following: Vanek, Gerbe, Leino. I don't see McCormick, Boyes, or Ennis being involved on the PK. That would be my guess for now.

Leino might get a chance at it. philly was stacked at forward so might be he just never got the chance to show what he could do on the pk.

But I agree roy, pommer, hecht, gaustad, and stafford are gonna be the primary guys. Others I think will get time will be Vanek and Gerbe.

Vanek stepped his game up last half of the season and last time he did that Ruff gave him a chance to pk at the start of the next season and Gerbe played himself into the final minute shifts and if that don't qualify ya for killing penalties I don't know what does

Stafford will move into this role as we saw him killing a bunch of penalties in the playoffs. I imagine the 8 PK forwards would likely be (assuming said guy is not injured or in the box at that time): Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Gaustad, Stafford, Kaleta, any 2 of the following: Vanek, Gerbe, Leino. I don't see McCormick, Boyes, or Ennis being involved on the PK. That would be my guess for now.

When there's a couple of injuries, I could see Boyes sliding into the 8th slot; but when healthy, I think you've got it nailed and my guess is that Gerbe would be the odd man out when all are healthy. So they'd run w/ the 6 you listed, and Vanek & Leino would get the odd shift here or there. Gerbe'd be the 1st injury 'call up' and Boyes the 2nd.

Archived