Grier

RazielSabre

Grier, who battled a knee injury over the final two months, said he'll either re-sign with the Sabres or retire. The 36-year-old right winger won't play elsewhere.

"For myself and my family, that's probably what it is," Grier said. "I've enjoyed it here. They've treated me well. I like playing with the guys. It's a good group of guys. I've got some good friends, and it's a good team that's got a chance to win."

From here

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article406545.ece

I like Grier, his a true professional and while his not one of the most skilled members of our team, for me his always been someone we can rely on to give 100%. Just thought I'd share the little snippet there as I thought it was particularly good. I hope we do re-sign him.

I like stonehands. I wouldn't even mind seeing him back next year......... But he should be a 4th line guy getting 4th line minutes. If he is on the roster next year as anything else something is seriously wrong

Agreed... Great guy, great teammate... but character guys also need to have the ability level to stay on the ice... he came out very strong in the first two games against philly, but his old legs caught up to him the rest of em'

Didn't we give him up to the Sharks or something at one point in time?

He signed as a free agent with the Sharks after the 06 season. We had to resign a number of players and his salary wouldn't have fit. There are also some questions as to his feelings about management after that time period. He's older now though and I think he realizes that relocating gets harder. And probably that if Buffalo doesn't want him, no one will. At least not a team that will be a competitor.

He signed as a free agent with the Sharks after the 06 season. We had to resign a number of players and his salary wouldn't have fit. There are also some questions as to his feelings about management after that time period. He's older now though and I think he realizes that relocating gets harder. And probably that if Buffalo doesn't want him, no one will. At least not a team that will be a competitor.

The Sabres actually matched the San Jose offer, which was something like $1.9 million. But as you point out,VHS had doubts about the direct of the team and chose the Sharks.

The Sabres actually matched the San Jose offer, which was something like $1.9 million. But as you point out,VHS had doubts about the direct of the team and chose the Sharks.

The Sabres SAID they were willing to match the offer. I don't trust a word that came out of that organization while Larry Quinn was running the show.

The Sabres SAID they were willing to match the offer. I don't trust a word that came out of that organization while Larry Quinn was running the show.

As I remember it, Grier admitted that the Sabres were willing to match the Sharks' offer, but his wife had family in the San Jose area and he used that as his reasoning for moving there.

As I remember it, Grier admitted that the Sabres were willing to match the Sharks' offer, but his wife had family in the San Jose area and he used that as his reasoning for moving there.

That's how I remember it as well.

Archived