[OT] HD Question

JoDo

So I'm new to the Hi Def TV thing. I have TW Cable on an LG HDTV. When I watch, for example, the Versus HD games through an HDMI cable the picture is incredible. But HD games through the Center Ice package such as today's Philly game look bad, somewhat pixelated. If I switch over to the AV input from my box the pic is standard def but livable. People in yesterday's GDT we saying how their hi def pic from CSN was awesome. I was watching the CSN feed as well, and my guide said it was HD. In addition, if I watch any standard def program through my HDMI cable input the picture is bad, slightly pixelated as I stated earlier. I purchased this cable from a discount store and don't know what version cable it is. I didn't realize there is different HDMI versions when I bought it. I'm hoping someone with more AV knowledge may be able to shed light on this for me.

Assuming that you do in fact have TWC's HD cable package...which it sounds as though you should. If you are always getting bad picture it is possible that there is a line interference issue with the coaxial which is coming into the house. Make sure you don't have it kinked anywhere, if there is excess it should be loosely wrapped in a circle as opposed to being tightly bunched. For example what most people do with extension cords would be horrible for coaxial cable. Check the picture formatting on the box through the menu and on the television. As for the SD it's pretty much always going to look like crap compared to HD, especially if the picture is set to stretch.

I have TW HD myself, they leased me and 8300 HDC receiver with DVR I've got it hooked up to a Samsung 50" C550 the picture quality even for MSG feed is pretty sweet. Other than that the images sometimes glitch. Versus is certainly much better, it is just annoying to have the TV and radio on for the same game. Hopefully this organization can get the Sabres on a better/their own network one day.

Easiest way to rectify this is call TW and tell them your image isn't clear they should walk you through some steps to try and work it out, verify that you have HD service at the same time. If you are very AV knowledgeable it would be a great help to have a little assistance. They may need to end up coming out to do a line interference test. Good luck, nice TV's and bad feeds suck.

TWC's programming in HD sucks, DirectTV is light years ahead of TWC, I had to switch to TWC as my employer pays for a certain % of my internet. I had DirectTV before TWC and loved it, it is so much better, cleaner, faster, cheaper. In fact just this past weekend I told TWC I can't take it anymore and I went back to DTV, after watching the Wild game my wife even commented that DTV was much crisper than TWC.

My advice to you, it's not your cable or your TV what's limiting you is your service provider. I'll say it again. TWC is aweful.

TWC's HD channels look great to me. A number of different factors can contribute to how good/bad your picture is, but hockey looks stellar on my less-than-stellar TV set (32" Sylvania LCD, 8ms response time i think), three dollar HDMI cable and generic TWC HD box.

Archived