Vintage SI article

JoDo

I actually forgot how good he was... perhaps because I was pretty young at the time (but not any more). The combo of Edwards-Sauve was really a joy to watch. I remember the debates about who should play more but they were both terrific at the time.

Thanks for sharing this. Seeing a quote by Punch brings back the memories!

...along with Pronovost.

Poor Punch, he fell in love with the team's young core and never made the changes necessary to get them over the hump.

It's the same old song....

:thumbsup:

Scotty broke up the old gang and a lot of fans still hate him for it.

:thumbsup:

Scotty broke up the old gang and a lot of fans still hate him for it.

Quite so. Though I hate Scotty not for that, but for being a generally terrible GM. Great coach, terrible GM. He could not get them over the hump either (he has his greatest success coaching Punch's team his first year), and fell in love with Jiri Dudacek. Sigh.

Quite so. Though I hate Scotty not for that, but for being a generally terrible GM. Great coach, terrible GM. He could not get them over the hump either (he has his greatest success coaching Punch's team his first year), and fell in love with Jiri Dudacek. Sigh.

Yeah, his "core" included Paul Cyr and John Tucker. Completely forgettable.

And nice job drafting Eric Weinrich, too.

Much like this current team, Bowman's mid-eighties teams had a few real players, and a whole bunch of players that were mediocre. I think Bowman may have trained Quinn.

Serious question. Should Terry Pegula look to Scotty Bowman to rebuild the Sabres franchise? Scotty tends to go where he thinks success is going to follow, and if he's as high on Pegula as everyone else, why not? I bet Scotty would love to correct the one typo on his resume, and do it for the community he still lives in (I believe). Certainly not as coach or GM, but more like team president or advisor, etc.

Serious question. Should Terry Pegula look to Scotty Bowman to rebuild the Sabres franchise? Scotty tends to go where he thinks success is going to follow, and if he's as high on Pegula as everyone else, why not? I bet Scotty would love to correct the one typo on his resume, and do it for the community he still lives in (I believe). Certainly not as coach or GM, but more like team president or advisor, etc.

Sure, but if he drafts Paul Cyr again...

Archived