Eastern Conference Playoff Preview on NHL Network

26CornerBlitz

I realize sports networks have airtime to fill, but is there anything more useless than a "predictions" show? And how often are any of them right?

That said, the best "preview" show on TV is ESPN's NFL Matchup, where the analysts don't predict the outcome but truly break down the film and explore the matchups in a couple of key games. I could watch that all day. Other prediction/preview shows? Meh.

Can't believe no one is outraged that both analysts said that Buffalo is the most likely to get upset in the first round. I figured we'd have the tar and feathers ready by now...

Gary Green expecting that Boston will magically find their scoring potential that they haven't shown all year. :rolleyes: :thumbdown: Neither one of those guys gave any good reasons why the Sabres are the most likely favorite to get ousted.

Gary Green expecting that Boston will magically find their scoring potential that they haven't show all year. :rolleyes: :thumbdown: Neither one of those guys gave any good reasons why the Sabres are the most likely favorite to get ousted.

In the 22 games since the Olympic break, the Sabres have 4 wins against a playoff team. Boston owns the season series 4-2 this year. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but those are two pretty good reasons to think that.

I was pretty pissed when both guys said their looking for Boston to upset. Even worse is that Billy Jaffe also is expecting Boston to win.

No respect shown to us at all.

Respect is earned. Sabres have not been a strong team as of late. Not that Boston has either but they were definitely on the rise at the end of the season.

Respect is earned. Sabres have not been a strong team as of late. Not that Boston has either but they were definitely on the rise at the end of the season.

Indeed it is earned, not handed out.

I just have a problem with knowledable hockey guys calling for the worst offensive team in the league to beat the top vezina candidate.

Indeed it is earned, not handed out.

I just have a problem with knowledable hockey guys calling for the worst offensive team in the league to beat the top vezina candidate.

I think the series is closer than you think. Buffalo is no offensive juggernaut and they have to face Rask, who has been lights out. I think Buffalo wins the series but the games are going to be of the 2-1 variety with OTs.

In the 22 games since the Olympic break, the Sabres have 4 wins against a playoff team. Boston owns the season series 4-2 this year. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but those are two pretty good reasons to think that.

The Bruins have one win against the Sabres with Enroth in goal and another with Lalime in goal after the division was wrapped up. In the games with Miller in goal the Sabres were 2-0-2. That 4-2 series record in favor of Boston is very deceiving.

Here are some other predictions:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32853-The-Hockey-News-200910-Playoff-Preview.html

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/?id=317813

I'll take it one step further. No one is ever going to take the 1-8 or 2-7 as the most likely upset. Then the defending champions are the 4 seed. Where else would they look for that most likely upset?

I'll take it one step further. No one is ever going to take the 1-8 or 2-7 as the most likely upset. Then the defending champions are the 4 seed. Where else would they look for that most likely upset?

Philly dominated NJ this year with a 5-1 series record and Brodeur has been less that stellar in the playoffs the last few years. There's your 1st round upset!

Philly dominated NJ this year with a 5-1 series record and Brodeur has been less that stellar in the playoffs the last few years. There's your 1st round upset!

Were most of those wins before the goalie injuries? Regardless, no media source is ever going to take a Boucher-Caron combo over Brodeur, especially since they're far too lazy to look up regular season records.

Were most of those wins before the goalie injuries? Regardless, no media source is ever going to take a Boucher-Caron combo over Brodeur, especially since they're far too lazy to look up regular season records.

For the record, my first round upset is Montreal over Washington. They split the regular season and Halak is for reals.

For the record, my first round upset is Montreal over Washington. They split the regular season and Halak is for reals.

Jose Theodore is certainly no lock to shine. Varlamov replaced him last year in the playoffs after shaky performances by Theodore.

I sure would like to see the Sabres do nearly as well as everyone on this board thinks they will, but, as I think PA pointed out recently, when have the Sabres brought their 'A game' since the west coast trip? Yeah, I know we have the potential to get some production offensively, but it seems that way too many people are taking for granted that this team can win a playoff series (get to second round).

Just watched this...can't say that I was impressed. The first round in the East seems very clean cut this year. However, that makes for poor TV, so they jumped on the Boston bandwagon. Buffalo always plays better when they are the underdog, so I hope the media piles it on.

With that being said, it is also better for the NHL if Boston wins. No one cares about Buffalo except the people from WNY. Boston on the other hand can be an instant rival for Montreal/Washington/NJ/Pittsburgh/Philly. Get Buffalo and Ottawa out of the East and the NHL wins. It sucks, but that's what we have to suffer being from a small market.

you call the bruins winning the season series 4-2 an owning? that doesnt sound like that much of an owning

Just watched this...can't say that I was impressed. The first round in the East seems very clean cut this year. However, that makes for poor TV, so they jumped on the Boston bandwagon. Buffalo always plays better when they are the underdog, so I hope the media piles it on.

With that being said, it is also better for the NHL if Boston wins. No one cares about Buffalo except the people from WNY. Boston on the other hand can be an instant rival for Montreal/Washington/NJ/Pittsburgh/Philly. Get Buffalo and Ottawa out of the East and the NHL wins. It sucks, but that's what we have to suffer being from a small market.

Ordinarily, yes. But this year Miller was the Winter Olympics hero. Casual American hockey fans may be more likely to tune in if Buffalo keeps winning and advancing. Imagine the hype for a Buffalo-Pitt series where Miller has the chance to redeem himself against Crosby.

Ordinarily, yes. But this year Miller was the Winter Olympics hero. Casual American hockey fans may be more likely to tune in if Buffalo keeps winning and advancing. Imagine the hype for a Buffalo-Pitt series where Miller has the chance to redeem himself against Crosby.

Me knees be a shakin'! :pirate:

Archived