Sabres done

GGM

:)

I'm not angry or terrified, but I really wanted a defenseman.

Color me mildly worried about our playoff defensive unit.

yea count me in... im kinda worried too... this it not as exiciting as it was supposed to be... would have been nice to see someone new in a sabres uniform... however at least what we do have is fireing on all cylinders.

im a lil disappointed we didnt pick up anyone to shore up our blue line, but i am happy that our gm had enough forsight not to give up biron or anyone else for that matter wihtout proper compensation. if the trade wasnt there to be made, then so be it. i am happy to have our golie controversy ended and even more happy that we have two solid netminders to take into the playoffs. now that being said, i think we can end the trade talk, and focus on the rest of this month, starting tonight whne the sabres steamroll the lightning. i for one will be there cheering my ass off for the same team i have been all year..a group of no names that play for each other and not the money...GO SABRES!!!

im a lil disappointed we didnt pick up anyone to shore up our blue line, but i am happy that our gm had enough forsight not to give up biron or anyone else for that matter wihtout proper compensation. if the trade wasnt there to be made, then so be it. i am happy to have our golie controversy ended and even more happy that we have two solid netminders to take into the playoffs. now that being said, i think we can end the trade talk, and focus on the rest of this month, starting tonight whne the sabres steamroll the lightning. i for one will be there cheering my ass off for the same team i have been all year..a group of no names that play for each other and not the money...GO SABRES!!!

agreed! GO SABRES!

im a lil disappointed we didnt pick up anyone to shore up our blue line, but i am happy that our gm had enough forsight not to give up biron or anyone else for that matter wihtout proper compensation.

I agree that I'm glad he didn't just give him away to the first team offering something, but he is just going to be giving him away at the end of the season when he becomes a RFA. I don't see Buffalo willing to pay more than what he's making now for him to be the back up, so we are going to lose him for nothing later anyway. I don't have as much confidence in a cup run as I did yesterday (Not saying they won't, but I have lost some of my confidence) not because we didn't make any deals, but because every other team we are competing against just got a little stronger by making a couple of big moves. Team chemistry is great, but this was the time to go and get the couple of guys that are going to give you the weapons needed in the playoffs and fix any holes you've had during the season.

I agree that I'm glad he didn't just give him away to the first team offering something, but he is just going to be giving him away at the end of the season when he becomes a RFA. I don't see Buffalo willing to pay more than what he's making now for him to be the back up, so we are going to lose him for nothing later anyway. I don't have as much confidence in a cup run as I did yesterday (Not saying they won't, but I have lost some of my confidence) not because we didn't make any deals, but because every other team we are competing against just got a little stronger by making a couple of big moves. Team chemistry is great, but this was the time to go and get the couple of guys that are going to give you the weapons needed in the playoffs and fix any holes you've had during the season.

I doubt that anyone will sign him away from the Sabres as the Sabres could get up to 4 1st round picks as compensation for him ($2MM+ players would probably be worth 2 1sts as compensation, but that is just a guess). I can envision the Sabres making him a 1 year qualifying offer at his current salary and then offering him a long term (say 3 year) deal worth less per season (as he will definitely be the backup provided Ryan stays healthy). If he takes the deal great, if not he once again becomes trade bait and the Sabres are looking for either Leighton to step up and play 20 games in the NHL or are looking for another backup to do that.

I doubt that anyone will sign him away from the Sabres as the Sabres could get up to 4 1st round picks as compensation for him ($2MM+ players would probably be worth 2 1sts as compensation, but that is just a guess). I can envision the Sabres making him a 1 year qualifying offer at his current salary and then offering him a long term (say 3 year) deal worth less per season (as he will definitely be the backup provided Ryan stays healthy). If he takes the deal great, if not he once again becomes trade bait and the Sabres are looking for either Leighton to step up and play 20 games in the NHL or are looking for another backup to do that.

Based on the things I've been reading lately, it really sounds like Marty is very happy here. I wonder if he's happy enough that he would accept a smaller offer to stay longterm like you suggested. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Archived