Miller's chance to do the right thing

PASabreFan

All very good points and I actually would not have a problem with barring professionals from competing. But is it just NHLers or is it all pros (KHL, SEL, et. al.)? And before they allowed pros in the games, other countries fielded teams that by all definitions were professional anyway. I don't really care, I'm just throwing it out there.

And thank you. No matter who they put out there to represent their country, I plan on enjoying very much.

I'd like to see it mandated across the board for all sports. If you're a paid professional, you're not an amateur. The same standards should be held up for everyone whether you are a long distance runner, swimmer, figure skater, water polo player, weight lifter, down hill skier, or hockey player. The world is full of talented amateurs that would love to compete for their countries.

Hold the bar to the same level as doping. If you are caught doping, you're out. If you won a metal, it's stripped. If you're found to be a professional, you're out. If you won a medal, you're stripped and your country is sanctioned with a ban in that particular sport in the next Olympics. That would clean it up in a hurry. There would be no shades of gray whether the Russian Hockey team was semi-pro, etc.

Don't you find that the Olympic stories of perserverance to achieve an Olympic dream are the most compelling? How some athlete overcame life's obstacles to be the best his/her country has to offer and against all odds gets to the games? Would you want to see Tiger Woods play golf in the Olympics, assuming that Golf was a sport. I wouldn't.

No, the right thing is to represent your country when it calls upon you.

Please, the Olympics are not the same as the Military! Please don't make such a statement. The Olympics should be for the non-professionals. I am not going to watch Miller play, this is nothing more than an all-star tournament and I do not watch that charade either.

It's hockey, not war.

Well.....maybe, but he's not getting called up to serve in Iraq.

Please, the Olympics are not the same as the Military! Please don't make such a statement.

I just want to clear something up. I said it's right to REPRESENT your country, not SERVE your country. I would never dream of comparing the Olympics to military service. I do, however, think that it's important to represent your country when she calls on you.

The Oscars adds nothing to the argument. Red Herring.

What we have is two opinions. One that thinks that taking millionaires, the best athletes at their craft, NHLers and NBAers, and playing them against countries who can't field the same quality is acceptable. Did you really think watching the American NBAers mow through the competition was fun to watch, entertaining, and sporting? Do you really think it upheld the Olympic ideals, the intended spirit of the games?

The other thinks that the games were represented by the best each countries amateur ranks could offer. Still wasn't an even fight, but smaller countries had a chance. The playing field wasn't even, but it sure as heck was a lot closer than the Canadians stocking a team with a bunch of players that don't even live in their country anymore. A team of players that haven't even had a chance to practice together before the exhibition begins. Another reason to not like the hockey tournament. This tournament ONLY rewards the very best players, not teams, as they haven't had a chance to play together as a team.

My opinion notwithstanding, I sincerely hope you enjoy the games.

I don't think the Oscars are a red herring - we're discussing a competition that's supposed to have the best at what they do compete for the top prize. Here's what the real difference is...

What's happening when NBA players mow through the competition or the NHL all-star squads face off against each other is EXACTLY the spirit of the games. When the first Olympiad happened near the beginning of the 20th century that's precisely what they wanted - the best of the best from all over the world. The idea of the Olympics is the peak performers hashing it out to crown a champion. But today, sports have become a professional, social event where people see certain athletes all the time. And thus, you aren't as interested when you see them play in another tournament. It doesn't seem that different to you than what you're already watching, the players have just been jumbled up. I understand that from an ENTERTAINMENT perspective, it's not exactly new. But when it comes to the Olympics and what they were meant to be, this is precisely what was envisioned.

When the Miracle on Ice happened...it was still pros involved, just not on our side. Who do you think the Russians were...college-aged kids from the plains? Isn't that part of what made that victory so sweet when those kids took them out? Think about how great that Argentinian victory over US basketball was back in '04 to them? That's the equivalent of the 'Miracle on Ice'...just not to us.

Last point...when it comes to 'smaller countries having a chance'...for all the bluster about Canada, Russia, etc...who were the medalists last Olympics? Sweden, Finland, Czechs. Also, '02 in Salt Lake - how great was Belarus beating Sweden and getting to the Bronze medal game? And in '98, how about the severely out-gunned Czechs winning their 1st gold medal with Hasek stoning all those Canadian sharpshooters...then taking out Russia in the title game?! You're leaving out plenty of great, dramatic storylines from when the NHL has been involved, pretending as if it's been boring, predictable hockey. If you want to watch young kids from all over the world get their shot...it's called the World Junior Championships. And if you think it's any different than when the NHL ranks playing - the results are surprisingly predictable...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IIHF_World_Under_20_Championship_medalists

And my opinion notwithstanding, I hope you can try to enjoy the games, too!

I just want to clear something up. I said it's right to REPRESENT your country, not SERVE your country. I would never dream of comparing the Olympics to military service. I do, however, think that it's important to represent your country when she calls on you.

Brian Burke is not a "she". And he's also not America.

Whats the difference between the Proffessionals playing in the NHL & NBA and the "amateurs" in the other sports? I just read something saying that Shaun White makes $8 mil a year (which is actually down do to the current economy) in sponsorships. Theres the speedskater from the US (the one from Dancing with the Stars) making millions too. It isn't like before where these athletes train inbetween their 9-5 jobs on their own dime. These athletes in the smaller sports basically do these sports as a career too, competing in World Cup and other events making money from winning and sponsorships. They also are given funding from the governments to train and for winning medals now. The only difference is that the NHLers and NBAers are in a more popular sport that makes more money.

And the point of the olympics is supposed to be the countries best vs. other countries best. What some are basically saying is that it should be the smaller countries best vs the bigger countries 2nd or 3rd best.

I don't like the idea of Miller having to play a bunch of extra games not for the Sabres, but its not like he is the only one doing this. If winning an olympic medal wasn't import to Miller (or any athlete/player) they would pass on it. But this is a huge honor/opportunity that doesn't come up all the time. Miller can have a chance to win a Stanley Cup every year he plays in the NHL, but the olympics only come around once every 4 years, and its a chance to be one of the best of your country, and the world, something not everyone has a chance to do. You could say he is being selfish putting his country ahead of his employer, but its also being selfish of those who are complaining he is going to play because all they care about is seeing him try and win a cup.

And seriously, Miller has a better chance winning a gold medal this year then the current Sabres winning the cup this year. Darcy has ALOT of work to do if he wants to build a cup contender this year before the deadline, and thats not something thats going to happen

Archived