Mair / Ellis

Vanek Nation

Tie game 2-2, less than 2 minutes to go in the third... who is on the ice? Time and time again its Mair, Ellis, and the fourth line. I understand rolling four lines, and for the most part these guys have been playing well recently, but it just doesn't make sense to play your worst players at the most crucial time of the game. Not to mention the stupid penalties they took earlier in the game last night.

Ottawa played their best players in the alfredsson / spezza line, far outmatching our fourth line scrubs. It makes no sense to play your fourth line at the most crucial part of the game. By putting that line out there its screaming that we just want to get to OT, let alone even TRY to score a goal. Last nights game was enormous for the standing, a 4 point match-up, and winning in regulation would have been huge.

My point is, while they might be somewhat more defensively responsible than lets say, roy or vanek... I don't want to see the teams worst players on the ice with less than 2 minutes in the third in a close game. It cost us the game last night. Play your best players when the game is on the line.

Tie game 2-2, less than 2 minutes to go in the third... who is on the ice? Time and time again its Mair, Ellis, and the fourth line. I understand rolling four lines, and for the most part these guys have been playing well recently, but it just doesn't make sense to play your worst players at the most crucial time of the game. Not to mention the stupid penalties they took earlier in the game last night.

Ottawa played their best players in the alfredsson / spezza line, far outmatching our fourth line scrubs. It makes no sense to play your fourth line at the most crucial part of the game. By putting that line out there its screaming that we just want to get to OT, let alone even TRY to score a goal. Last nights game was enormous for the standing, a 4 point match-up, and winning in regulation would have been huge.

My point is, while they might be somewhat more defensively responsible than lets say, roy or vanek... I don't want to see the teams worst players on the ice with less than 2 minutes in the third in a close game. It cost us the game last night. Play your best players when the game is on the line.

Alfredsson came off the bench and Spezza wasn't on the ice when they scored the third goal. They were out there for the 4th goal into the empty net. I think Lindy goes with his gut every game. Its not always these players out there.

We can analyze all we want, but its is and will continue to be about Roy and Vanek. If they bury any of their chances last night or in Vancouver or San Jose and the team wins those 3.

Archived