The number of "off/travel" days between playoff games is a joke

LabattBlue

Between games 1 and games 7 there are 8 "off/travel" days in the Pit v. Car series and 9 "off/travel" days in the Det v. Chi series. No wonder the playoffs go halfway into June.

There should be no "off/travel" days when there are back to back home games and one "off/travel" day when going from city to city.

What a joke. :angry:

Between games 1 and games 7 there are 8 "off/travel" days in the Pit v. Car series and 9 "off/travel" days in the Det v. Chi series. No wonder the playoffs go halfway into June.

There should be no "off/travel" days when there are back to back home games and one "off/travel" day when going from city to city.

What a joke. :angry:

You are correct - that is why the Cup playoffs seem to go on forever. If I recall correctly, back in the day (like the 60's, 70's and maybe even into the 80's...), they did exactly that. There were no days off between two games in the same city and just one travel day when switching cities. Of course hockey now vies for arena space with concerts and other non-sporting events, the NHL caters to TV scheduling (Eastern and Western conferences playing games on alternate days, afternoon games on weekends), etc. Of course, they could always go back to the infamous 2-3-2 format. (Actually, I always thought that format favored the team with three games in a row at home; steal a road win in Game 1 or 2 and then sweep the series at home.)

I wouldn't have a problem cutting the number of off days down in the earlier rounds and having only one off day between games (travel or not) in the conference finals. That way, in the CF round, there is a game every night: EC, WC, EC, WC ...

Archived