HSBC Rink Size

Seannie34

When I watch the home games on tv it looks like the rink at the HSBC arena is alot smaller than the other rinks. Montreal seems to have an especially large size rink. Is it the camera angles or are they really that different?

And the players are so little too !!! :P :P

I think it looks a little smaller after spending 10 days watching Olympic hockey. I still say the greatest rule change the nhl could make is to go to the international size rink. All it would take is to take out the first row of seats around the ice.

there's no difference. i think the dimensions are 200'x85'.

The old rinks, like the aud and MLG had smaller rinks, but now they're all the same size.

The Aud - 196' x 85'

Boston Garden - 191' x 83'

Chicago Stadium - 188' x 85'

Olympia - 200' x 83'

All others - 200' x 85'

I think it looks a little smaller after spending 10 days watching Olympic hockey. I still say the greatest rule change the nhl could make is to go to the international size rink. All it would take is to take out the first row of seats around the ice.

Unfortunately it would take more than 1 row of seats to get the rinks 15' wider. It would probably take removing 3 - 5 rows of seats and adjusting the incline of the bowl of the rinks so that the 1st row of seats wasn't now 2 ft above the glass.

Some rinks MIGHT also need to have the subfloor pattern of brine pipes extended to be able to get good ice out along the boards.

It would be good to go to the Olympic size rink, unfortunately the league should have mandated all new rinks built since say about '90 be able to accomodate the larger ice surface. They didn't because it's cheaper to build the rink without the rink being adjustable and also because they didn't want to lose a few hundred expensive seats when the league changed rink dimensions. Another reason, albeit less important, is all of the minor leagues use the smaller rink as well. Teams probably wouldn't want the players in their system playing on smaller rinks than the big clubs use.

The Aud - 196' x 85'

Boston Garden - 191' x 83'

Chicago Stadium - 188' x 85'

Olympia - 200' x 83'

All others - 200' x 85'

Unfortunately it would take more than 1 row of seats to get the rinks 15' wider. It would probably take removing 3 - 5 rows of seats and adjusting the incline of the bowl of the rinks so that the 1st row of seats wasn't now 2 ft above the glass.

Some rinks MIGHT also need to have the subfloor pattern of brine pipes extended to be able to get good ice out along the boards.

It would be good to go to the Olympic size rink, unfortunately the league should have mandated all new rinks built since say about '90 be able to accomodate the larger ice surface. They didn't because it's cheaper to build the rink without the rink being adjustable and also because they didn't want to lose a few hundred expensive seats when the league changed rink dimensions. Another reason, albeit less important, is all of the minor leagues use the smaller rink as well. Teams probably wouldn't want the players in their system playing on smaller rinks than the big clubs use.

How big is the rink in Rochester? That ice seems small!

i think the ice is ok the way it is... the sabres arena seems quite big but in comparison its small to montreals.... i think montreal holds over 21,000 fans in there arena... compared to our 18,000 so yes i think it would feel bigger in montreal.

Archived