Kennedy named player of the week

wildcat48

I'll repeat my response from the other place that Wildcat posts:

Remind me again why Kennedy only got a one-game tryout (call-up) with the Sabres? I really like Gerbe and he probably is the more natural goal scorer of the two (though, it hasn't translated to the NHL yet), but I could actually see Kennedy being more important to the future of the Sabres. As much as I may want it to happen, I don't see us actually trading to bring in another scoring-line center, one who could bump Hecht down from the third-place spot. Kennedy, unlike Gerbe who has played left wing, has played almost the entire season at center in Portland, usually on the first-line.

Remind me again why Kennedy only got a one-game tryout (call-up) with the Sabres? I really like Gerbe and he probably is the more natural goal scorer of the two (though, it hasn't translated to the NHL yet), but I could actually see Kennedy being more important to the future of the Sabres. As much as I may want it to happen, I don't see us actually trading to bring in another scoring-line center, one who could bump Hecht down from the third-place spot. Kennedy, unlike Gerbe who has played left wing, has played almost the entire season at center in Portland, usually on the first-line.

It just may be that the Sabres feel the same way, and want Kennedy to develop in Portland while Gerbe gets some NHL time to attract potential suitors. Just speculating, and I mean speculating.

I forget the specifics, but didn't someone come back from injury the day after he played? That would have been the reason for the original one game stint. Why he's not up now before Gerbe though (your main question, I'm sure), I have no idea. Gerbe's just not ready yet, and to expect him to even fill part of the Vanek void seemed like a crazy thought to me. They'd be far better served to bring up a guy to play on the 3rd line.

I forget the specifics, but didn't someone come back from injury the day after he played? That would have been the reason for the original one game stint. Why he's not up now before Gerbe though (your main question, I'm sure), I have no idea. Gerbe's just not ready yet, and to expect him to even fill part of the Vanek void seemed like a crazy thought to me. They'd be far better served to bring up a guy to play on the 3rd line.

Yes and yes (to the two bolded parts.)

Archived