[OT] Sabre Pucks?

deluca67

I am. Their nice. Small but still cool to have and look back on in a few years.

Brings me back to the days of when my parents would go shopping and bring me back the NHL stickers from Bells they got based on the amount of groceries they bought. I have 5 brothers and sisters so I would get a lot of stickers.

Brings me back to the days of when my parents would go shopping and bring me back the NHL stickers from Bells they got based on the amount of groceries they bought. I have 5 brothers and sisters so I would get a lot of stickers.

Weren't the stickers from Loblaw's?

You are correct sir. The Loblaw's by my house turned into a Bells. I do believe Bells did had out Sabre posters a few years later. I remeber having a Giles Hamel poster. The Loblaw's by my house was in the same plaza as a Woolworth's and a Your Host. I remember Your Host because they sold the card board stand ups of the french connection. They were about a foot high. I was able to pick up a Dave Schultz Flyers one a few years ago at the Walden Flea Market for two dollars.

You are correct sir. The Loblaw's by my house turned into a Bells. I do believe Bells did had out Sabre posters a few years later. I remeber having a Giles Hamel poster. The Loblaw's by my house was in the same plaza as a Woolworth's and a Your Host. I remember Your Host because they sold the card board stand ups of the french connection. They were about a foot high. I was able to pick up a Dave Schultz Flyers one a few years ago at the Walden Flea Market for two dollars.

Yeah, the one we went to turned into a Bells as well.

I don't remember the card board stand-ups, but used to like to go to Your Host because they had the little jukeboxes at each table. Even when I couldn't get a nickel (?) to play it, it was cool to flip through all the playlists. (At least until my parents threatened to rip my arms off if I didn't stop.)

Used to get hockey cards and other memorabelia at the old "Super Flea" as well.

Yeah, the one we went to turned into a Bells as well.

I don't remember the card board stand-ups, but used to like to go to Your Host because they had the little jukeboxes at each table. Even when I couldn't get a nickel (?) to play it, it was cool to flip through all the playlists. (At least until my parents threatened to rip my arms off if I didn't stop.)

Used to get hockey cards and other memorabelia at the old "Super Flea" as well.

You "Two Guys" are rich. (my brother made me write that, I have no idea what it means and he won't tell me, incite?)

Two years ago my bro-in-law stood in line for those medallions...he got me two sets, one for each kid. They made me pay for the medallion and the extra papers they had to buy to get the coupons. Cost me almost $100 bucks. Last year my sister said "He's not doing it again", but I talked them into sending the kids at least their favorite players pin. This year my sister said "They're selling pucks and we're NOT doin' it".

I just want my SabreJak back. Mom must have thrown it away when I outgrew it.

Sigh.

Two years ago my bro-in-law stood in line for those medallions...he got me two sets, one for each kid. They made me pay for the medallion and the extra papers they had to buy to get the coupons. Cost me almost $100 bucks. Last year my sister said "He's not doing it again", but I talked them into sending the kids at least their favorite players pin. This year my sister said "They're selling pucks and we're NOT doin' it".

I just want my SabreJak back. Mom must have thrown it away when I outgrew it.

Sigh.

I'll send you pucks. Who are their favorite players?

DeLuca you old softie!

Pommers and Miller. I would never ask you to send them tho.

But I think it's really cool that you offered :thumbsup:

I'm not sure which ones are out. I just started picking them up Sunday. I figured they would be sold out. If I can grab a Miller and Pominvile I will send them. Shame their not Paestch and Tallinder fans. Tops had plenty of those guys left.

Yes. My uncles worked in the warehouse and I filled up about 20 books! I think it was the year the Caps and the KC Scouts (now the NJ Devs) came into the league... What was it 1976-1977???

For the life of me I do not know where they are... My parents probably pitched them years ago! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Oh... BTW, I remember the first part of the book had some pages dedicated to Jr. hockey... I clearly remember seeing them wear helmets and shields... How strange that was since the NHL didn't mandate helmets until 1979 (grandfathered in the older players).

Believe it or not, my late uncle (passed away almost exactly 30 years ago today) designed those card board stand ups. My brother and I had tons of them... I think my folks got rid of everything in our basement (flood!), but next time I go home, I will check to see if there are any more left. There was the french connection guys, a couple of different Flyers, Bruins and Rangers players. I hadn't thought about those in years...

Yes. My uncles worked in the warehouse and I filled up about 20 books! I think it was the year the Caps and the KC Scouts (now the NJ Devs) came into the league... What was it 1976-1977???

For the life of me I do not know where they are... My parents probably pitched them years ago! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Oh... BTW, I remember the first part of the book had some pages dedicated to Jr. hockey... I clearly remember seeing them wear helmets and shields... How strange that was since the NHL didn't mandate helmets until 1979 (grandfathered in the older players).

It was '74-'75. On the last page they had a model for how the new 12 team playoff system would work. Somehow they had Buff-lo in 2nd in their division but w/ 1 more point than the Bruins. :huh: They made up for that by having the Sabres win it all. Not a bad prediction. They were only off by 2 games.

And the junior players you remember were actually college players - they showed a shot from a BC-BU game; avec helmets, but sans shields.

It was '74-'75. On the last page they had a model for how the new 12 team playoff system would work. Somehow they had Buff-lo in 2nd in their division but w/ 1 more point than the Bruins. :huh: They made up for that by having the Sabres win it all. Not a bad prediction. They were only off by 2 games.

And the junior players you remember were actually college players - they showed a shot from a BC-BU game; avec helmets, but sans shields.

:worthy: :worthy:

That is right!!... GOOD MEMORY (or do you still have a book?)... That would make the California Golden Seals still in the league... I know the Caps and the Scouts were there too... When did they come in the league? I thought 1974 was too early... But you are right, both were 1974-1975 season. I still remember thinking the Scouts page was cool! Was it Michel Plasse that they had for the main page or Simon Nolet...?? Don't know why those two names come to mind about the sticker book!

Also, wow what a flashback to the Golden Seals! Remember when a record like:

1969-70 Oakland Seals: 76 games W=22 L=40 T=14 Pts.=58 169 243 845 fourth in West Lost in quarterfinal

Got one into the playoffs! 22 wins and 40 loses! :wallbash: :wallbash:

No wonders the NHL had a rep for letting "everyone" into the playoffs!

:lol:

That is right!!... GOOD MEMORY (or do you still have a book?)... That would make the California Golden Seals still in the league... I know the Caps and the Scouts were there too... When did they come in the league? I thought 1974 was too early... But you are right, both were 1974-1975 season. I still remember thinking the Scouts page was cool! Was it Michel Plasse that they had for the main page or Simon Nolet...?? Don't know why those two names come to mind about the sticker book!

NHL expansion era

Every now and then I enjoy looking at the expansion of the nhl, and also history of teams' jerseys/logos

NHL expansion era

Every now and then I enjoy looking at the expansion of the nhl, and also history of teams' jerseys/logos

Cool link! I will surely bookmark it! Thanx!

On another note... It always pissed me off about The "Original" Six... What is so "original" about them, there were other teams that played hockey... If it weren't for the Great Depression, maybe more would have stayed... And I will surely get flamed for this: Maybe that is what should happen today in sport's, screw the salary cap... :chris:

Cool link! I will surely bookmark it! Thanx!

On another note... It always pissed me off about The "Original" Six... What is so "original" about them, there were other teams that played hockey... If it weren't for the Great Depression, maybe more would have stayed... And I will surely get flamed for this: Maybe that is what should happen today in sport's, screw the salary cap... :chris:

Hey you're welcome. See also: http://www.nhluniforms.com/ ...it shows each team's uniforms for each season.

See also my favorite of all time, which fortunately you will not find at the previous link: http://www.onfrozenblog.com/wp-content/upl...07/08/blues.jpg

Make sure yo read the caption in the upper right of the jpg. :lol:

The 1st paragraph was from memory. The 2nd, was from looking up. Helmets sounded right, shields didn't. I remembered it was a brown team, but had no idea which one. (I had never heard of BC nor BU, back when I was collecting the stamps.) The reason shields didn't sound right was there was only 1 photo I could remember of anything resembling a shield in the book and that was of a North Star wearing a running back's face mask due to a broken jaw. (The No. Star was Barry Gibbs, btw.)

The names probably come back because those are the only 2 players from KC shown w/ more than just a head shot on a little tiny stamp. Nolet the former Broad Street Bully and Plasse who is the answer to a trivia question. Since that was the year that the league expanded to 18 (and 12 teams making the "real" season), there were no game action shots of either KC nor the Caps. Which is a shame, because I know Washington wore the white pants that year, but do not recall ever seeing them play in them. Ottomh, I can't think of anyone else that ever wore white pants, but I wouldn't put it past the Seals.

Hey you're welcome. See also: http://www.nhluniforms.com/ ...it shows each team's uniforms for each season.

See also my favorite of all time, which fortunately you will not find at the previous link: http://www.onfrozenblog.com/wp-content/upl...07/08/blues.jpg

Make sure yo read the caption in the upper right of the jpg. :lol:

"Vetoed by Mike Keenan."

:lol:

The 1st paragraph was from memory. The 2nd, was from looking up. Helmets sounded right, shields didn't. I remembered it was a brown team, but had no idea which one. (I had never heard of BC nor BU, back when I was collecting the stamps.) The reason shields didn't sound right was there was only 1 photo I could remember of anything resembling a shield in the book and that was of a North Star wearing a running back's face mask due to a broken jaw. (The No. Star was Barry Gibbs, btw.)

The names probably come back because those are the only 2 players from KC shown w/ more than just a head shot on a little tiny stamp. Nolet the former Broad Street Bully and Plasse who is the answer to a trivia question. Since that was the year that the league expanded to 18 (and 12 teams making the "real" season), there were no game action shots of either KC nor the Caps. Which is a shame, because I know Washington wore the white pants that year, but do not recall ever seeing them play in them. Ottomh, I can't think of anyone else that ever wore white pants, but I wouldn't put it past the Seals.

That would make sense... Because I think the full opening page for the Scouts I think had Plasse skating with a black background... There would have been no action shots of games available since the season didn't begin.

I can't remember anything about the Caps... I do remember that era against the Sabres... Didn't the Sabres own the Caps for and extended period of wins?... I think it was bunch of seasons? Same with the Nordiques (after 1979) for a while till that all came crumbling down in the playoffs during the 1980's! :wallbash:

Archived