Lindy's Defense

SwampD

The way tha Sabres play defense is so frustrating I can barely stand to watch. Our wingers are completely useless, and it's positioning and coaching, not the talent of those players that is the problem. When we get to the playoffs, our stint will be short lived if it doesn't change and only four of our Dmen will make it out(in the '05-'06 playoffs only 1 Dman made it out)

When there is a battle for the puck in the corner, there is usully a Dman and the center on the guy with the puck. Why are the wingers pinching in as well leaving the points wide open. As soon as the opposing player sees the winger start to move in, he sends the puck to the point and that guy either sends it back in for another round or lets a bomb go at net(we lost a Dman tonight this way)

What is Ruff afraid of that he has the winger so deep in our own zone for. The guy in the corner isn't going to score with two guys on him. Some tonight said they hate "the shell". But that's how they play all game. Attack the points and get the friggin' puck out. They play like they are always on the PK.

This system worked for Ruff when he had an all world goalie(Hasek) or when he caught lightning in a bottle with the "new NHL" and had enough offense to take advantage of the rushes they were getting. But it didn't carry over to the playoffs those years and isn't working now with less offensive talent and the "old NHL" creeping back in.

With this little change I think we could be a much better team.

They play like they are always on the PK.

Right there is your answer. Their PK is a pretty successful one overall, so they stick with "simplicity." Remember "dump it in and put pucks on net, hit bodies, work hard" are CHALLENGING concepts for these guys; I can only imagine the anxiety the coaching staff has over trying to teach them another defensive strategy.

Seriously, though, from how I see the D working, it seems like when everyone is in deep, they're trying to capture the puck behind the net, allowing the second D man to take it to the blue line and pass it to a wing. It's just that the other teams aren't cooperating with this.

Funny this got brought up tonight because during the game I was thinking the same thing. I chalked it up to listening to what Miller wants in front of him. You have to adapt your D around your goalie, and while it may be frustrating to watch, I think it has been paying off for Miller. Just look at his stats. I don't think Miller turns it on and off so much as he deals with what our D gives him. If we keep the crease clear and let them tee off from the blue line, we win. If there's traffic and/or the opposing team gets Miller going side to side, we're in trouble. I think the style of D we're implementing now is reducing the chances of Miller getting out of position. Not all of the time, but reducing it greatly.

Then again, Ruff could be flipping coins on the bench and winging it, who knows!!

Funny this got brought up tonight because during the game I was thinking the same thing. I chalked it up to listening to what Miller wants in front of him. You have to adapt your D around your goalie, and while it may be frustrating to watch, I think it has been paying off for Miller. Just look at his stats. I don't think Miller turns it on and off so much as he deals with what our D gives him. If we keep the crease clear and let them tee off from the blue line, we win. If there's traffic and/or the opposing team gets Miller going side to side, we're in trouble. I think the style of D we're implementing now is reducing the chances of Miller getting out of position. Not all of the time, but reducing it greatly.

Then again, Ruff could be flipping coins on the bench and winging it, who knows!!

But when Lalime is in the net those shots give him problems and the rebounds end up in the net.

I always thought Ruff's biggest flaw was his godawful management of his backup goalies.

I agree his worst problem is how he handles the backup.

Although that is a problem, they don't play in the playoffs. This defense does.

But the mismanagement of the backup can keep them from making the playoffs like last year.

Archived