Expiring contracts and how they might help the sabres

Hsoj25

Take a look at this piece, quite an interesting read about the economy of the nhl, cap space, and these so-called 'expiring contracts':

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...tract-quot.aspx

As I've pointed out before, Buffalo really isn't in that great of shape next year either as they have $42 million already tied up with 7 forwards, 4 defensemen and 2 goalies.

Afinogenov of the Sabres has only scored two goals in 34 games this year, but if you can pick him up for cheap, or maybe for a long-term contract player such as Dustin Penner, then that's a deal the Oilers might well want to consider, under the right circumstances (Edmonton out of playoffs, Sabres making a playoff run).

Was this written by a Sabres' fan?

Max for Penner? I'm sure that I saw that post here or on LGS.

It would be awesome if Buffalo, Anaheim, and Toronto (where Burke is now)--or maybe every GM in the league--just refused to even talk trades with Edmonton, but it won't happen.

I saw that, too. The funny thing is that he even says that Max has only 2 goals in 34 games in his posting (I refuse to call that rubbish an article). Not quite as good as Max for Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, but definitely up there in the stupidest things I've ever read. Although, Eklund mentioned the Sabres were interested in Doan. Maybe the actual deal is picks for Doan and Max for Penner?

As I've pointed out before, Buffalo really isn't in that great of shape next year either as they have $42 million already tied up with 7 forwards, 4 defensemen and 2 goalies.

But according to the article, it's the year after next where the salary cap will be expected to fall. While we're not in great shape to pick up any big name free agents this summer, we're in good enough shape to keep our 4 RFA's and add a couple much-needed mid-level role players at C and D.

Take a look at this piece, quite an interesting read about the economy of the nhl, cap space, and these so-called 'expiring contracts':

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjour...tract-quot.aspx

Interesting in that it seems to make slumping, impending UFA's actually desirable to some teams out of the playoffs.

Archived