Rewriting history

BMWR100RT

Anyone notice Averys comments have been changed from the crude thing he said, including the classy phrase "sloppy seconds" to this new one:

?I?m really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada,? he said. ?I just want to comment on how it?s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don?t know what that?s about, but enjoy the game tonight.? He then walked out of the locker room.

I don't remind anyone protecting the innocent by not repeating something and refferring to it as crude, but actually rewriting the words is just wrong. It makes Avery look better than he actually is. I assume this was to protect his fromer girlfriend, but you can't rewrite history. Who do you think did this.....I see both MSNBC and CNN are writing the same stuff.

Anyone notice Averys comments have been changed from the crude thing he said, including the classy phrase "sloppy seconds" to this new one:

“I?m really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada,” he said. “I just want to comment on how it?s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don?t know what that?s about, but enjoy the game tonight.” He then walked out of the locker room.

I don't remind anyone protecting the innocent by not repeating something and refferring to it as crude, but actually rewriting the words is just wrong. It makes Avery look better than he actually is. I assume this was to protect his fromer girlfriend, but you can't rewrite history. Who do you think did this.....I see both MSNBC and CNN are writing the same stuff.

All news outlets have done this forever. Whenever an offensive term or a phrase that doesn't make sense in context is used they use () to indicate they wre replacing words.

For example if a player is being interviewed and said, "I don't think he planned it very well." you'd have absolutely no idea who he was reffering to with "he" so they would print it like this: "I don't think (Coach Ruff) planned it very well."

EDIT: Oh, and as for the Avery example, I'd be willing to bet that somewhere in the article after the comment you posted was something pointing out that a derrogatory comment was used to refer to the "former girlfriends."

All news outlets have done this forever. Whenever an offensive term or a phrase that doesn't make sense in context is used they use () to indicate they wre replacing words.

For example if a player is being interviewed and said, "I don't think he planned it very well." you'd have absolutely no idea who he was reffering to with "he" so they would print it like this: "I don't think (Coach Ruff) planned it very well."

EDIT: Oh, and as for the Avery example, I'd be willing to bet that somewhere in the article after the comment you posted was something pointing out that a derrogatory comment was used to refer to the "former girlfriends."

I guess I should have made it clearer.....here is the comments from TSN.CA ""I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

What an A-hole Avery is, but thanks to the media, nobody will no the extent. And there is no reference to the re-writing of history on thos sites. I'm not a "Fair and balanced" conspiricy theoritst, but that is wrong.

I guess I should have made it clearer.....here is the comments from TSN.CA ""I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

What an A-hole Avery is, but thanks to the media, nobody will know the extent. And there is no reference to the re-writing of history on thos sites. I'm not a "Fair and balanced" conspiracy theorist, but that is wrong.

I'm sure that some news outlets aren't allowed to write something like "sloppy seconds" and therefore have to replace it in the quote. They should have, however, made mention of the fact that they replaced the lewd part of his comment.

Archived