Sabres troubles in their own end

Grinder42

For everyone who has watched these last 5 games I would like to point out the issue with Buffalo getting trapped in their end too long, too often. It is no one player that does this either. The other night against Philly on carters first goal the play resulted in a goal when the Sabres had numbers and what looked to be an easy breakout. The Fylers dumped in and the forward peeled off. Buffalo had 4 men down low below th e face off dots. ( too deep) Rivet spread out wide and instead of moving the puck to Rivet for and easy outlet. Spacek slows down and allows himself to be forchecked. The forechecker pushes the puck up the boards and Mccarthur mishandles the puck. Then he fails to play the body and lets carter waltz in on goal. Spacek and Rivet also make no attempt to knock him off the puck.

In the Islander game Guerin scores to make 3-1 in the third. Doug weight is on the boards and Numminen is in perfect position to through a Body check and put Weight into the boards and instead tries to make the lazy play and poke check Weight. Weight puts the puck into a player that is unguarded deep and he makes the pass right through Kaletta into a waiting Guerin.

Watch these and others from the last 5 games and this team clearly is playing scared and give up way too soon. When eis a turnover occurs there needs to be some urgency. I love Ruff as a coach but perhaps the front office needs to make these trades and unload 3-4 players and let Ruff do his thing find the right parts. If we fix it now we could have a run later. If we wait we will be on the golf course early! IMO we have 5 Finesse Defensemen and more the same on the farm! We need some fellas to rack up these forwards waltzing in and taking advantage of our D's hospitality!

I realize everyone is playing poorly, but my buddy Clarke he has really made some poor plays and needs to sit as well. I am not sold he has NHL talent or playmaking skills. Though I hope I am wrong because he atleast shoots when in front ( ummm Derek)

I hope the Sabres find a way to beat the Bruins!

I didn't read all of your posts, but I would say I'm seeing 3 or 4 guys at the blueline and they are backing off too much from opposing players. Letting them get deep because you are just backing up won't work, they need to be challenged AT the blueline not AFTER the blueline.

I didn't read all of your posts, but I would say I'm seeing 3 or 4 guys at the blueline and they are backing off too much from opposing players. Letting them get deep because you are just backing up won't work, they need to be challenged AT the blueline not AFTER the blueline.

Excellently said! That is exactly what bothers me. If they challenged these players wlatzing in Ryan and Patrick might actually have a chance. Too many fluke goals and Deflections. I have always believed you back in maybe to the top of the face ff circle bot no more. That is what was taught when I played Pee Wee....At he Blue line your transitioning your skating toward the man not away!

As Olivia Newton John Said....." Let's get Physical!"

For everyone who has watched these last 5 games I would like to point out the issue with Buffalo getting trapped in their end too long, too often. It is no one player that does this either. The other night against Philly on carters first goal the play resulted in a goal when the Sabres had numbers and what looked to be an easy breakout. The Fylers dumped in and the forward peeled off. Buffalo had 4 men down low below th e face off dots. ( too deep) Rivet spread out wide and instead of moving the puck to Rivet for and easy outlet. Spacek slows down and allows himself to be forchecked. The forechecker pushes the puck up the boards and Mccarthur mishandles the puck. Then he fails to play the body and lets carter waltz in on goal. Spacek and Rivet also make no attempt to knock him off the puck.

In the Islander game Guerin scores to make 3-1 in the third. Doug weight is on the boards and Numminen is in perfect position to through a Body check and put Weight into the boards and instead tries to make the lazy play and poke check Weight. Weight puts the puck into a player that is unguarded deep and he makes the pass right through Kaletta into a waiting Guerin.

Watch these and others from the last 5 games and this team clearly is playing scared and give up way too soon. When eis a turnover occurs there needs to be some urgency. I love Ruff as a coach but perhaps the front office needs to make these trades and unload 3-4 players and let Ruff do his thing find the right parts. If we fix it now we could have a run later. If we wait we will be on the golf course early! IMO we have 5 Finesse Defensemen and more the same on the farm! We need some fellas to rack up these forwards waltzing in and taking advantage of our D's hospitality!

I realize everyone is playing poorly, but my buddy Clarke he has really made some poor plays and needs to sit as well. I am not sold he has NHL talent or playmaking skills. Though I hope I am wrong because he atleast shoots when in front ( ummm Derek)

Ruff's teams have always had issues with getting trapped in their own zone for prolonged periods of time.

It's no coincidence that one of RJ's signature calls is "Cleared, but not out".

What's the difference between the early games and the later games? Early in the season, the forwards were positioned perfectly along the half wall to easily get the puck out of the zone. I remember commenting on that. It's almost like other teams scouted the Sabres and saw where the forwards would be and made an adjustment. I can't say for sure that is what happened, but there is definitely an issue getting the puck out of the zone and starting a fluid transition, as pointed out throughout this thread. Is there an issue with the system that they are trying to implement?

I think people are panicking too much. No one said going into the season that this team would be in contention of being President Trophy winners or anything. The team has a few dead weights which are hard to drop, have some amazing prospects in the AHL. This team has been build mainly for offense, so i don't understand why so many people are shocked that we get caught sometimes and things don't work out. Miller is suppose to be good enough to stop an occasional defensive breakdown but that hasn't been happening. First and foremost he needs to stop the puck that is supposed to be stopped. Secondly, he needs to stop the difficult shots and thirdly he needs to win a game or two. He needs to play like the elite goalie he's suppose to be.

Sure we have other problems but Miller is one problem that can't be fixed simply by benching him like we can bench other players. Also in the end we can get rid of Max and other dead weight, but if Miller keeps allowing easy goals who really cares? Like i said before, players can work their ass off and paly a damn good game, but if you allow easy goals all that hard work goes to waste.

I think people are panicking too much. No one said going into the season that this team would be in contention of being President Trophy winners or anything. The team has a few dead weights which are hard to drop, have some amazing prospects in the AHL. This team has been build mainly for offense, so i don't understand why so many people are shocked that we get caught sometimes and things don't work out. Miller is suppose to be good enough to stop an occasional defensive breakdown but that hasn't been happening. First and foremost he needs to stop the puck that is supposed to be stopped. Secondly, he needs to stop the difficult shots and thirdly he needs to win a game or two. He needs to play like the elite goalie he's suppose to be.

Sure we have other problems but Miller is one problem that can't be fixed simply by benching him like we can bench other players. Also in the end we can get rid of Max and other dead weight, but if Miller keeps allowing easy goals who really cares? Like i said before, players can work their ass off and paly a damn good game, but if you allow easy goals all that hard work goes to waste.

While Miller has played a few times, this is not Miller's fault at all. Miller has been excellent i thought this season so far as a whole. Just as Lalime was against the Islanders in the loss. The team is focusing more on defense, even Lindy Ruff said it, and early in the season, it worked. If you remember after like 10 games or something, Sabres allowed the 2nd least goals in the NHL... only Montreal allowed less. When they play well on defense, there is no worries about Miller. He's been great. However, turnovers which lead to odd man breaks and high quality shots due to not closing down the passing lanes, is what is causing the Sabres to allow goals now.

The game in Boston (when i went, Nov 7th or something) i thought Miller was great. That was a game where Sabres could have allowed 5-6 goals to that crazy good Bruins team, yet didn't because Miller was excellent all night. Only one goal that night i can say i blame him for.

Miller is the least of the Sabres worries.

Finally. This has been driving me nuts for years now an I've written several posts about it that were met with mostly disinterest. I truly believe that this is one of the reasons we lost to Carolina and have so many injuries to the D by the end of the year. Opposing teams have figured out that if you get in trouble deep in the Sabre's zone, just fling it to the point, cuz there wont be anyone covering the points....Gaaaaaah!

Archived