[OT] New Car!!!

Corp000085

So, the whole reason for my trip up this weekend was to get a new 2009 jetta tdi. I've only driven the car 30 miles, but let me tell you all: that car is absolutely ridiculous. I got the 6 speed manual and its geared much smoother than my old 2000 passat 5 speed stick. The diesel thing is also such a memory of old cars too. This thing, if you didn't have a clue, does not sound like a diesel, does not drive like a diesel, and does not smell like a diesel. If you didn't know it was a diesel, you wouldn't have a clue when starting up. The glow plug warmer delay is only about 3 seconds (old cars took 15-60 seconds), it doesn't grumble and clatter like an old jetta would. Acceleration is outstanding. I don't know the exact 0-60 time, but under normal driving conditions, i think its as quick or slightly quicker than my passat, which had a 1.8liter turbocharged engine. Tourque is where it's at with this car too. It accelerates comfortably without the need to downshift. I was doing about 50mph on the kensington and i wanted to pass a car. I was in 5th gear, and i accelerated past him, doing about 65mph by the time i fully passed the car, all without downshifting to 4th gear. Did I mention the fuel economy? epa rates it at 41mpg on the highway. the trip computer was showing readings from 35-70mpg depending on how i was accelerating. The true test comes monday when i drive back to NC. I suggest that anyone in the market for a new car give this one a look. I'm absolutely blown away by it.

I got the 6 speed manual and its geared much smoother than my old 2000 passat 5 speed stick.

Well i would honestly hope so :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why diesel isn't more popular in the US. Many turbodiesel engine's can get you 50+ mpg... oh well

this thread is worthless without pics! :nana:

pictures will come when the sun is up.

Well i would honestly hope so :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why diesel isn't more popular in the US. Many turbodiesel engine's can get you 50+ mpg... oh well

The true test on mileage will be my drive back to NC. It's filled up, but i'm going to top it off before i leave on monday and i'll write down the odometer reading. I really want to see the mileage rating with the thing on cruise control for 10 straight hours.

So, the whole reason for my trip up this weekend was to get a new 2009 jetta tdi. I've only driven the car 30 miles, but let me tell you all: that car is absolutely ridiculous. I got the 6 speed manual and its geared much smoother than my old 2000 passat 5 speed stick. The diesel thing is also such a memory of old cars too. This thing, if you didn't have a clue, does not sound like a diesel, does not drive like a diesel, and does not smell like a diesel. If you didn't know it was a diesel, you wouldn't have a clue when starting up. The glow plug warmer delay is only about 3 seconds (old cars took 15-60 seconds), it doesn't grumble and clatter like an old jetta would. Acceleration is outstanding. I don't know the exact 0-60 time, but under normal driving conditions, i think its as quick or slightly quicker than my passat, which had a 1.8liter turbocharged engine. Tourque is where it's at with this car too. It accelerates comfortably without the need to downshift. I was doing about 50mph on the kensington and i wanted to pass a car. I was in 5th gear, and i accelerated past him, doing about 65mph by the time i fully passed the car, all without downshifting to 4th gear. Did I mention the fuel economy? epa rates it at 41mpg on the highway. the trip computer was showing readings from 35-70mpg depending on how i was accelerating. The true test comes monday when i drive back to NC. I suggest that anyone in the market for a new car give this one a look. I'm absolutely blown away by it.

Congrats, nothing like a new set of wheels, is there? :thumbsup:

Sounds like you get some pretty decent mileage of of that thing, along with a nice drive.

Archived