This Day in Sabres History :: February 28

PASabreFan

February 28, 1996

At Ottawa, Derek Plante scores with 24 seconds left in overtime to give the Sabres a 3-2 win over the Senators, one of five game-winners on the season for the center, behind only Pat LaFontaine's seven (in half a season). It's Buffalo's fourth win in a row. They're around .500 and within striking distance of the playoffs, but just two wins in their next fourteen games seal their fate -- the last game at Memorial Auditorium will indeed be the regular season finale against Hartford. As for Plante, he is enjoying the best season of his career, although the next year he will have fewer points and lead the team in scoring.

Guest steve the hockey God

Face it sabres fans, if the sabres don't win this year they never will. Miller is going to want 8 million a year, Katolik will want millions, all the rest of those Euroean players will be squeling for money and this team will cave in on itself. Everyone says these players are all friends, just wait till one of them gets a pay raise. CANCER! Sabres will barely break .500 next year and after that it will be worse

Face it sabres fans, if the sabres don't win this year they never will. Miller is going to want 8 million a year, Katolik will want millions, all the rest of those Euroean players will be squeling for money and this team will cave in on itself. Everyone says these players are all friends, just wait till one of them gets a pay raise. CANCER! Sabres will barely break .500 next year and after that it will be worse

Ok, where to start with this. For starters, you made a bunch of blanket statements, with no evidence backing them up. So let's start with Miller. He is finishing up his 1 year contract, and is a restricted free agent. I think he has earned a significant pay raise from what he is making now, but 8 million? I mean sure you can make an argument by just making up numbers, but it's not a very strong one. But let's go with the fact that he asks for a significant pay raise. Do you think this team's management is stupid? Miller appears to be developing into the type of player that you build your franchise around. He is going to get a significant raise, and will be in Buffalo for a long time.

So, I am assuming by Katolik, you mean Kotalik...he appears to have earned himself a raise as well. Why do you think all the "Euroean" players are going to start squealing for money? Do you have any evidence of these particular players doing things like this in the past? Or do you like to make blanket statements about people based on where they were born?

So where is the evidence that if players deserve a raise they are not going to get it? I know that the team had a very frugle budget this year, but that was coming out of the lockout, and management felt like they had to fight to survive. And what happened? The team started winning, people started coming to games, and it looks like they are going to turn a profit during the regular season. Throw playoffs into the mix, and the team is going to be in a much better position financially then they were at the beginning of the year. If they don't win the cup, where are they? They had a successful season financially, and have young core of players that have good chemistry, and win games. This translates to people having a greater interest in the team, earlier in the year...which means more money.

This could lead management to set the budget higher. I am not expecting them to go out and spend the cap celing, and go into a bidding war to bring in a bunch of big named free agents. But I would expect them to spend extra money to keep as much of this year's roster as possible.

Even if the team continues to be frugle...what happened last season? Satan wasn't qualified because he didn't fit in with the team's system, and we lost Zhitnik. So in reality, we only lost 1 player that we wanted to keep. Not bad really.

But what do I know...you're the self proclaimed hockey god.

WE'RE DOOOOOMED! DOOMED I TELL YOU!

Actually, except for Briere, McKee, Teppo, and Grier, what a player wants and what he will get will not necessarily have a huge correlation. Hopefully these guys will see their value in a manner consistent with the Sabres view and they will be re-signed (preferably all for LT contracts w/ the exception of Teppo). I expect them to be able to re-sign Briere, Grier, and Teppo; but would not be surprised to see the market price for solid stay-at-home defensemen end up higher than the Sabres will bear.

Just another thought...What does the last few posts have to do with this day in Sabres history?

Nothing, except this is the date in Sabre history that some random guest poster pointed out to us that the Sabres ARE DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YOU!