"Pirates snuff out the Monarchs"

wildcat48

Pirates snuff out the Monarchs

Portland, ME ? A new era has begun in Portland, but it?s still safe to say the Pirates still don?t like the Manchester Monarchs.

(Imagine when the Providence Bruins come to town next week.)

This game had so many story lines tonight, but Mark Mancari has to be the highlight scoring the hat trick along with two assists as the Pirates shot down the Monarchs, 6-3, in front of 5,136 at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

Maine Hockey Journal>>>>

Is that the Amerks I hear kicking themselves in the rear? This Portland team is going to be good! It's only good for the Sabres as Gerbe, Kennedy and company will be at the heels of Max, Kotalik, Macarthur all year long......it's gonna be hard to keep them in Portland for the enitire year. I can see Lindy bringing one of them up at a time here and there to see how they fit if someone starts to struggle.

Is that the Amerks I hear kicking themselves in the rear? This Portland team is going to be good! It's only good for the Sabres as Gerbe, Kennedy and company will be at the heels of Max, Kotalik, Macarthur all year long......it's gonna be hard to keep them in Portland for the enitire year. I can see Lindy bringing one of them up at a time here and there to see how they fit if someone starts to struggle.

Well, it's going to be a little while at least, according to the article:

?With this group (in Portland), we really want to leave this alone for now and let them be together and let them play,? said Regier. Not so much the older players, there are guys who can play the wing and do the same thing that Ellis can do, but in the middle we didn?t want to bring the younger guys up.?

Well, it's going to be a little while at least, according to the article:

?With this group (in Portland), we really want to leave this alone for now and let them be together and let them play,? said Regier. Not so much the older players, there are guys who can play the wing and do the same thing that Ellis can do, but in the middle we didn?t want to bring the younger guys up.?

Anyone see Criag Rivet speak about the way the Sabres develop players?

I forget where i saw it, but it was one of the interviews on Sabres.com, Rivet said most of our players grew up together in the minors and it shows because they are a huge family. He said it's a very close locker room and you can see the advantages of keeping your prospects together for long periods of time to gel together and when they come up, they know the system and since they played with each other in the minors, they are united again. And Lindy Ruff said during the summer when he mentioned Nathan Gerbe wouldn't be rushed because the way Regier/Ruff develop players, is by creating them step by step and improving every aspect of their games before they come up. What i'm saying is, i wouldn't be shocked at all if we don't see any call ups (unless it's injury related) for a while. That includes Mike Weber.

I know the Amerks divorce is messy for many here. I would have preferred to see them stay. Now that they're gone, I see the Portland thing as a plus. There are twice as many prospects to watch now. Having half a team for so many years seemed so limiting. It might have made a better AHL team because only the best prospects were there, but half of those guys were being cultivated for the enemy. Let's see what they can do after three years or so...

Archived