Pirates Training Camp

wildcat48

Pirates Training Camp -- Day 1

Portland, ME The first day of training camp turned out to be less than an eventful day as only 13 players were on the ice for the official start of the Portland Pirates training camp, but that doesnt mean the Pirates coaching staff didnt lay out a plan to get something accomplished at the Portland Ice Arena.

Read More @ Maine Hockey Journal>>>>

Probably hard to tell until the next wave of players hits Portland tomorrow, but I'll be interested to see where Gragnani lines up at.

Considering he lined up at forward during training camp,the fact that he was a complete disaster at the position(blueliner) last year and his above average success at forward in the AHL, it would seem to be a waste to play him on the blueline.

That being said, I only count 4 defensemen right now in Portland(Butler, Card, Funk & Kostka) and even if Weber gets sent down, that would only give them 5 blueliners.

Someone please tell me that Portland will have at least one extra body and this won't be a scenario where if a player gets injured, the team will play shorthanded the next game.

I know Gragnani was garbage in Rochester on the wing, but if i recall, didn't he play a little bit of defense when he was in Buffalo in one of the few games he played? In either case, they should keep him on the wing. When he took off, he was excellent. One of the top offensive players in the AHL in post-January 1st stats. I wish i knew exactly which the Hockey News article it was in, but it highlighted the top offensive players in the new year, and Gragnani was 2nd or something. Not too bad for a rookie. I think he may have a sophmore breakout in the AHL like Pominville did.

I know Gragnani was garbage in Rochester on the wing blueline, but if i recall, didn't he play a little bit of defense when he was in Buffalo in one of the few games he played? In either case, they should keep him on the wing. When he took off, he was excellent. One of the top offensive players in the AHL in post-January 1st stats. I wish i knew exactly which the Hockey News article it was in, but it highlighted the top offensive players in the new year, and Gragnani was 2nd or something. Not too bad for a rookie. I think he may have a sophmore breakout in the AHL like Pominville did.

I fixed your post. ;)

Gragnani did have at least one shift on defense in that OT game when he was called up. They put him back there in OT hoping for a little extra offensive punch.

Blue, Portland has the guy on a try out status that is a defenseman. I forget his name, but wildcat mentioned him in his article.

Gragnani did have at least one shift on defense in that OT game when he was called up. They put him back there in OT hoping for a little extra offensive punch.

Blue, Portland has the guy on a try out status that is a defenseman. I forget his name, but wildcat mentioned him in his article.

You're right. I didn't include him because I wasn't sure if that was a courtesy thing on the Sabres part or if he an AHL caliber dman. We'll see.

Archived