[OT] PS3 40 GB

Strow

Ok looks for reviews and or reason to wait to get the 80 GB PS3. Is there any difference other than the USB ports? Also if anyone has the 40 GB are they upset they didn't get the larger one? Im thinking of going to get the PS3 today, the girlfriend has been in a very good mood lately so I can slide it by her.

I got a 40 GB maybe 2 months ago. I really don't need all the extra ports. The only thing I've used the usb for so far is to charge controllers. Right now, I only have 3 games, so if the memory ever becomes an issue, that's still way down the road.

Im guessing that the hard drive keeps the game on it? If so how much space does a game take on average? I don't really play much more than a few games myself also.

I've never actually checked. Each game so far (Tiger Woods '08, Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4) has had a download time at the start. Metal Gear had downloads after each act of the story. There's no way its the entire game that goes onto the hard drive though, probably just certain vital files that make things faster. I'll look later today to see how much space each has taken up... unless someone else beats me to it.

Basing off the PS2 memory cards and games - I don't think there is an average you can count on. Some games are small save files and others have a bunch of files involved. Some of the story games I've played on PS2 - Star Wars Battlefront, for example - have small, 95 KB save files, but the NCAA Football '08 has at least three different files (profile, settings and dynasty) for a total over 2400KB.

Obviously with the increase in graphics and depth to the games, the size of the save files should have increased proportionally for the PS3.

So its more of a save file space eatter than loading the entire game to the hard drive. That RAM must be working hard on those PS3 with the graphics. Thanks for all the responses. Im just worried that spending the extra 100 is worth it, its not looking like it is and Best Buy here I come!

So are they re-releasing the 80GBs again? I thought they had phased them out. The one thing that annoys me about the 40GB is that you can't play PS2 games on it. You could with the 80GB that they used to sell. They may create some patch in the future (hell, they may have already), but for now I have to break out the old PS2 if I want to play those games. A few of them are actually worth breaking out every now and then.

Target had 80GB models with MGS4 as recently as last week near me... if/when I get PS3, I will be getting the 80GB version... for that much money, I don't want to say "I should have gotten the bigger one"...

Best Buy has the 80 GB on its web site now with MGS4 they go fast so if you want to spend the extra money go for it. I personally don't think Im gonna spend it. I believe you can upgrade your hard drive from what I have seen on the net. Not being able to play PS2 games is a huge draw back in my view too one of the main reasons why I would want the 80.

"I should have gotten the bigger one"...

Thats why I am a little gun shy on getting the 40 GB but if I only play 3 games total it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I've got the original 80 (I think, might be a 60? Was the biggest available when I bought overpaid for it.. it's got the full Emotion Engine in it). The hard drive is used for a few things... from what I can tell:

1. Demos and anything you download from the PS store. This is where the bulk of my storage has gone... mostly free demos.

2. Patch data for games you buy. Sometimes (as with COD 4) newer game data is made available via download. That's going to wind up on the hard drive. The entire game isn't copied to the drive, just the newer files. My guess is that it uses an overlay or perhaps application logic to use the latest files. There's no game 'installation process', you just put the DVDs in and it runs like the PS2 did.

3. Save files.

4. Preference stuff.

5. PS2 "memory card compatibility slots. One can carve out chunks of space and use them as virtual PS2 cards.

6. OS and OS patch data.

7. Any media you copy to your PS3, mp3's and whatnot.

Overall I like the PS3, I just wish more games would come out. The PS is nowhere near the title powerhouse it was back when the PS2 came out. I'm crazy addicted to Call of Duty, though! I've actually been thinking of picking up a PSP as they're supposed to allow you to play your PS3 games over the internet (slingbox style).

I can check and see what my disk usage is this evening if you'd like. I've got about half a dozen games for it, but I don't believe that makes a difference.

I also have the 40 GB version. I hardly ever use the extra ports. The one usb port to charge the controller and also to update the firmware (which you can do wirelessly but I don't trust mine not to cut out in the middle). I have a bunch of game saves on mine. I have NHL, MSG4, GTAIV, Rachet and Clank, etc. Haven't run out of room yet. Besides, if you're really that hard up for space and you have some tech skill, Sony has made very easy to swap out the HDD and put in a bigger one. You could even put in a 1TB drive in there if you want to I believe. No regrets and saved some bucks on stuff I won't really use.

There's no game 'installation process', you just put the DVDs in and it runs like the PS2 did.

I take it that you haven't played GTA4 or Metal Gear Solid 4. I guess its not technically an installation, but both games had a rather lengthy data transfer at the start of the game. I'm sure it could be a longer process if the game has been on the market for a while and a patch or two are available. It really isn't the biggest deal though since its a one time deal.

I take it that you haven't played GTA4 or Metal Gear Solid 4. I guess its not technically an installation, but both games had a rather lengthy data transfer at the start of the game. I'm sure it could be a longer process if the game has been on the market for a while and a patch or two are available. It really isn't the biggest deal though since its a one time deal.

COD4 works that way, as did Assassin's Creed. From what I understand, it's patch data. I think each download was between 200 and 300MB. Updated game graphics and data files and whatnot. It's not physically installing the entire game on the disk, rather downloading updated files. They're not small updates by any means, I'll grant you that!

COD4 works that way, as did Assassin's Creed. From what I understand, it's patch data. I think each download was between 200 and 300MB. Updated game graphics and data files and whatnot. It's not physically installing the entire game on the disk, rather downloading updated files. They're not small updates by any means, I'll grant you that!

Metal Gear did it at the start of each act in the story, so its not just patches. I'll have to play through the game again to see if it does the same thing again.

Any NCAA Football fans on here? Saw a cool trailer for the next-gen NCAA Football '09, due to be released next week.

Looks pretty sweet.

Yep I'm a fan. I actually pre-ordered it on Xbox 360 because I played the demo about a week ago and was really impressed with this year's installment. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but the gameplay is actually the most realistic I've seen in a football game.

Metal Gear did it at the start of each act in the story, so its not just patches. I'll have to play through the game again to see if it does the same thing again.

Sounds like it's keeping a texture cache or something on the hard drive. A lot of PC games do that, too. Quite honestly, every game is probably free to do whatever it wants. Some probably copy most everything to the hard drive (minus cut scenes) while others don't touch it at all.

The 80GB model was the only thing on the shelf when I bought mine. I probably would have bought the smaller model if it had been there.

Archived