Cunny's status with Sabres

wildcat48

Could the Pirates be looking for a new head coach??

When the Portland Pirates step on the ice this fall, many already knew it was going to be a different cast of characters on the ice. Back in early June, the Pirates announced a new three-year affiliation agreement with the Buffalo Sabres, ending their previous relationship with the Anaheim Ducks.

It was going to be a new experience for the Pirates, but the Sabres were expecting to see many of the same faces make the jump from Rochester, the Sabres previous affiliate for the past 29 years, to Portland.

That may not be the case now.

Link>>>>

Isn't head coach of an AHL team considered a step up from an NHL assistant coaching role?

Not always.... As Shrader said, it depends on the organization, sometimes they are seen as equal positions. But, the normal progression is AHL coach to assistant coach in the NHL.

Not always.... As Shrader said, it depends on the organization, sometimes they are seen as equal positions. But, the normal progression is AHL coach to assistant coach in the NHL.

And I think our organization is a good example of both. Scott Arniel left an NHL job here to take an AHL head coaching job in Manitoba. Then you have Brian McCutcheon who was upgraded from Rochester head coach to an assistant with the Sabres.

Speaking of McCutcheon, you mentioned him as a possibility. I'm guessing that move won't be all that likely since he previously had that job.

And I think our organization is a good example of both. Scott Arniel left an NHL job here to take an AHL head coaching job in Manitoba. Then you have Brian McCutcheon who was upgraded from Rochester head coach to an assistant with the Sabres.

Speaking of McCutcheon, you mentioned him as a possibility. I'm guessing that move won't be all that likely since he previously had that job.

I think it's pending on the timing.

I did managed to squeeze in one question, looking for a timeline. The basic answer was they're going to let things play out. We're looking at days or weeks, but if this drags out beyond that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer McCutcheon the job just to make sure things get off to a good start in Portland.

Archived