No Cunneyworth in Florida

Bmwolf21

MIAMI -- The Florida Panthers hired Peter DeBoer as their new coach Friday, giving him a multiyear deal on his 40th birthday.

DeBoer -- a highly touted junior coach from the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers -- also was courted by Ottawa and met with the Senators this week. DeBoer replaces his boss, Jacques Martin, who was stripped of his duties as head coach in April but remains with the team as general manager.

"I was really pleased when Peter decided on our organization," Martin said. "It's a sign that this organization is making strides and having quality people and moving forward."

Martin became Florida's coach in 2004 and took over as general manager in 2006, replacing Mike Keenan. He called his successor a "perfect fit" for the club.

Read the rest HERE

---------------

One would assume that DeBoer will want his own guys as the assistant coaches, so this might mean Cunneyworth will still be in the Sabres' employ when the AHL operations move to Portland. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full team of Sabres prospects and no BS from two parent clubs.

MIAMI -- The Florida Panthers hired Peter DeBoer as their new coach Friday, giving him a multiyear deal on his 40th birthday.

DeBoer -- a highly touted junior coach from the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers -- also was courted by Ottawa and met with the Senators this week. DeBoer replaces his boss, Jacques Martin, who was stripped of his duties as head coach in April but remains with the team as general manager.

"I was really pleased when Peter decided on our organization," Martin said. "It's a sign that this organization is making strides and having quality people and moving forward."

Martin became Florida's coach in 2004 and took over as general manager in 2006, replacing Mike Keenan. He called his successor a "perfect fit" for the club.

Read the rest HERE

---------------

One would assume that DeBoer will want his own guys as the assistant coaches, so this might mean Cunneyworth will still be in the Sabres' employ when the AHL operations move to Portland. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full team of Sabres prospects and no BS from two parent clubs.

Well, the Kings job is still available, but I have a feeling Tortorella will be getting that or their assistant coach will be promoted to head coach. Toronto has a new coach, the Sharks have a new coach, Ottawa has a new coach, and now Florida has a new coach, so I think the Kings is the only vacancy left. So, unless Cunneyworth gets an assistant's job in the NHL, it looks like he'll be going to Portland next year. Too bad for the NHL, but great news for the Sabres in my opinion. I think if the team rebounds and he has a good season this year, with a full team of Sabres prospects and actual AHL Veterans that both Quinn and Darcy have said they plan to sign, I think Cunneyworth will have a really good season and make it to the NHL next season.

Kind of off topic, but I find it hilarious that certain people on this board like to blame the Sabres for not stocking the Amerks with AHL Veterans when both Quinn and Darcy have said already on WGR that they have every intention of stocking Portland with AHL Vets and that because of the affiliation agreement with Rochester they were not able to stock it with Vets. Sounds like Donner was the reason the Amerks had no vets and not the Sabres. I'm interested to see how many vets will be on Rochester this year with Florida as the parent as they, too, did not stock the Amerks with vets last year either. Either way, Cunneyworth staying in the AHL ranks with Portland and the Sabres stocking Portland with some vets, looks like a good season for Portland and subsequently the Sabres organization overall. I think there's some excitement for this upcoming season for the entire Sabres organization.

Well, the Kings job is still available, but I have a feeling Tortorella will be getting that or their assistant coach will be promoted to head coach. Toronto has a new coach, the Sharks have a new coach, Ottawa has a new coach, and now Florida has a new coach, so I think the Kings is the only vacancy left. So, unless Cunneyworth gets an assistant's job in the NHL, it looks like he'll be going to Portland next year. Too bad for the NHL, but great news for the Sabres in my opinion. I think if the team rebounds and he has a good season this year, with a full team of Sabres prospects and actual AHL Veterans that both Quinn and Darcy have said they plan to sign, I think Cunneyworth will have a really good season and make it to the NHL next season.

Kind of off topic, but I find it hilarious that certain people on this board like to blame the Sabres for not stocking the Amerks with AHL Veterans when both Quinn and Darcy have said already on WGR that they have every intention of stocking Portland with AHL Vets and that because of the affiliation agreement with Rochester they were not able to stock it with Vets. Sounds like Donner was the reason the Amerks had no vets and not the Sabres. I'm interested to see how many vets will be on Rochester this year with Florida as the parent as they, too, did not stock the Amerks with vets last year either. Either way, Cunneyworth staying in the AHL ranks with Portland and the Sabres stocking Portland with some vets, looks like a good season for Portland and subsequently the Sabres organization overall. I think there's some excitement for this upcoming season for the entire Sabres organization.

Vets and we have to have undeniably one of the strongest AHL Rookie Classes coming in.

Well, neither the Sabres nor the Cats were going to stock vets when they only had ~12 slots. The point of Ra-cha-cha paying a reduced affiliation fee to the Sabres was they were supposed to use that money to pay for some vets, like the Amerks did when fat boy 1st bought the team.

Donner was undercapitalized and looked to FLA to supply the players HE was supposed to provide.

Now that the Sabres are responsible for ALL players on the :chris: s' roster, they will necessarily add a vet or 4.

How many vets end up on the Amerks depends on how the affiliation agreement is set up. If FLA stocks the entire team, there will be some; if not, it'll be a hit or miss proposition. Styres supposedly has the money to bring some in, it'll be interesting to see if the very good LAX GM (who was merely a hockey figurehead for several years) can still identify hockey talent AND convince the talent that it's better to play in the AHL w/out an NHL 2 way contract than it is to play in Europe for journeyman money. My guess is that FLA will supply all the talent. Aside to Amerk6, here's where the be careful what you wish for comes in; the Cats don't have a particularily good track record at either level choosing talent.

Archived