Torts officially out in Tampa

SabresFan526

Well, John Tortarella has officially been fired by the Lightning. I wonder who will pick him up. My guess is Ottawa will most likely pick him up. Although, I think he'd fit really well in San Jose where they need a bit more of a hard a$$ coach. I just hope Emery stays in Ottawa because Tortarella and Emery together have disaster written all over it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239640&amp...os=topStory_nhl

I heard Trots to San Jose.

Wilson to Toronto.

But the best caditiate to be a head coach IMO is Peter DeBoer and nobody is giving him a serious look.

I heard Ottawa is seriously considering DeBoer.

I'm a bit surprised that no one is considering Cunneyworth, but I think given the disaster that was Rochester, he's hurt his chances of becoming a head coach in the NHL this year although I have a tough time blaming him for this season in Rochester. Oh well, it's the NHL's loss and the Sabres/Portland Pirates gain.

I'm just throwing this out there, but what would it take to bring him here as an assistant, assuming of course he doesn't secure a head coaching job? I still feel like somebody needs to be held accountable for that defense/powerplay last year--somebody besides the players. I've never been a fan of McCutcheon and I'm luke-warm on Patrick.

I'm a bit surprised that no one is considering Cunneyworth, but I think given the disaster that was Rochester, he's hurt his chances of becoming a head coach in the NHL this year although I have a tough time blaming him for this season in Rochester. Oh well, it's the NHL's loss and the Sabres/Portland Pirates gain.

Yeah i heard they interviewed him but i didn't think they were high on him because they want a guy with NHL expierence? I think i read that in the Ottawa Sun someone posted it on another forum.

About Cunnyworth - I don't think he'd do good here. I'm not high on Patrick either but McCutcheon i like alot. Cunnyworth is a defensive coach, just like McCutcheon. I wish Scott Arniel would return as assistant. And thats another guy who i cant believe hasn't been looked at for a head coaching job.

You guys remember our PP under Arniel?

Yeah i heard they interviewed him but i didn't think they were high on him because they want a guy with NHL expierence? I think i read that in the Ottawa Sun someone posted it on another forum.

About Cunnyworth - I don't think he'd do good here. I'm not high on Patrick either but McCutcheon i like alot. Cunnyworth is a defensive coach, just like McCutcheon. I wish Scott Arniel would return as assistant. And thats another guy who i cant believe hasn't been looked at for a head coaching job.

I completely agree. We need Arniel back. I think the story with Arniel is that he has been living in Winnipeg for a long time since he played with the Jets and the Manitoba Moose job was a head coaching job as well as in his hometown, so I don't see him coming back anytime soon. I'm also surprised Arniel has not gotten a legit shot in the NHL, but I imagine it's more because of him not wanting one than him not getting an opportunity as I think he likes living in Winnipeg.

Frankly, I'd love to get Craig Ramsay back to be the Special Teams coach. I think our Special Teams would improve if he became the special teams coach. McCutcheon has led the top special teams to become mediocre.

I heard Trots to San Jose.

Wilson to Toronto.

But the best caditiate to be a head coach IMO is Peter DeBoer and nobody is giving him a serious look.

I love the Wilson to Toronto move. That's a great move for everyone who hates the Leafs, because Wilson is an overrated jackass IMO.

Yeah it's tough to throw the blame on Cunney given all the BS that franchise went through in the last year. But like you said, it's the NHL's loss and Buffalo's gain, though I fear he won't be a minor league coach for long. If Buffalo continues stocking their AHL affiliate the way they have already and they have a decent year next season, Cunney will be back on the short lists for the teams who fire their coaches next offseason...

Cunnyworth will never be a good pro head coach i don't think. He's a GREAT developer and teacher of the game. But on a pro roster, all players are pretty much developed and he just needs to find the best out of each of them. Hes a very bad time management and when things go bad, he allows the players to dig themselves out of their own hole, something that wouldn't fly in the NHL. He never takes a time-out when needed when the team struggles and you know the opponent is about to roll us over. In the playoffs he's had some good teams (im not talking about the lockout yr) but in the playoffs where developing takes a back seat and coaching takes center stage, he always got out coached. He has been looked at by several NHL clubs.

I hope he does remain with the Sabres and is the head coach with Portland.

^^ Agreed. He can turn a young team who has little to no hope of the playoffs into contenders to make the playoffs, but once he's at that step they won't go much further. For his sake, and our sake, i hope he is in Portland for a while.

I remember it being crap for ages except the 00/01 season and the 05/06 season, and the 00/01 season you can pretty much chalk up to Dave Andreychuk.

I doubt Arniel was the reason our PP clicked in those two seasons, but I can be wrong.

Archived