OT - Role Models?

deluca67

A question for those of you with children. Are there any role models in sports? I am asking this question that has spawned from the Hardy conversation.

Is there a player that you feel comfortable buying a jersey for your child with their name on it? If I had a child I would want to see him wear a John Lester Red Sox jersey. He has come back from cancer and resumed his career with some amazing highlights like a win in the World Series and the recent no-hitter. In other sports I think I would like to see my child wearing a Ryan Miller jersey, a Tim Duncan jersey and maybe even a Payton Manning jersey. If he came back from the mall with a Chris Henry jersey, Chris Simon jersey or even a Kobi Bryant Jersey I would make him return it.

Have you ever denied your child a jersey because of the name on it?

A question for those of you with children. Are there any role models in sports? I am asking this question that has spawned from the Hardy conversation.

Is there a player that you feel comfortable buying a jersey for your child with their name on it? If I had a child I would want to see him wear a John Lester Red Sox jersey. He has come back from cancer and resumed his career with some amazing highlights like a win in the World Series and the recent no-hitter. In other sports I think I would like to see my child wearing a Ryan Miller jersey, a Tim Duncan jersey and maybe even a Payton Manning jersey. If he came back from the mall with a Chris Henry jersey, Chris Simon jersey or even a Kobi Bryant Jersey I would make him return it.

Actually paying for a Chris Simon jersey should be a federal offense.

That said, it all depends how old the child is.

If we're talking 3-6, I'd probably stay silent. 6-11, I'd let him know that "Chris Simon isn't a good hockey player", and any older I'd tell him to get rid of that a-hole's jersey, and I'd buy him a new one of his choice, provided it didn't carry the name of a similar POS.

I would definitely restrict my kids from buying a jersey. Hell, I'd even tell them not to buy a tallinder jersey. I would offer no explanation till they were at an age where they could handle the explanation, although i'd hope that my kid didn't have the cash laying around to get a jersey at an age where he couldn't handle an explanation. My parents wouldn't even let me get a bruce smith jersey when i was a kid cause of his drug use and his money first attitude. Ironically, they ended up getting me a hasek jersey... You know the guy who turned out to be a mercenary, not to mention that he almost killed someone with his hockey stick in a pickup game. I guess you win some and lose some.

My kid will proudly wear a lafontaine jersey... Legends never die, their story just gets better.

First off, my kids know that the true role models are their teachers, firefighters, police and the military. I would like to think that they also hold me and my wife in such esteem, but you would have to ask them. As far as athletes, I encourage them to enjoy sports and I understand they have favorite players but I try to make sure there is a line between worship and admiration for their talent. So far I have been lucky in that my younger ones jerseys have consisted of Miller, Max, Pominville and Briere. Right now my 7 year old thinks TG is the devil for trading her favorite player, but.....

Seriously, I think my older kids (16 and 19) are grounded enough to know the difference between athletic accomplishments and human qualities and I have enough influence over my younger ones to still push them in the direction my wife and I want.

Now if I can only figure out how to explain why Jamie Lynn Spears is having a baby!

My kid will proudly wear a lafontaine jersey... Legends never die, their story just gets better.

I hear ya on that one.

I cannot describe how much I respect that guy, both for his on-ice merits, but also for his community involvements, and last but definitely not least - Simply because I never heard him say anything bad about anyone, no matter what the situation.

Pure class all the way.

I hear ya on that one.

I cannot describe how much I respect that guy, both for his on-ice merits, but also for his community involvements, and last but definitely not least - Simply because I never heard him say anything bad about anyone, no matter what the situation.

Pure class all the way.

He does seem to be one of those guys who just is what he is built up to be. Not only do you not hear him say anything bad about anybody, as far as I know, you don't hear anybody say anything bad about him.

Archived