DB/CD effect on Miller's contract

Chilly

Saw this on Spectors site (http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397:the-latest-sabres-and-wild-news&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9):

THE BUFFALO NEWS: Bucky Gleason and John Vogl both reported that Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller might be the focus of management's attention this summer, as they hope to re-sign him to a deal that'll keep him out of next summer's UFA pool. Miller's received word that the club hopes to meet with him regarding a contract extension but he could want assurances from management over the club's future roster plans before agreeing to a new contract. Miller also refused to comment on rumors that he'd be interested in signing with the Detroit Red Wings next summer, claiming that's not an issue nor is it on the table for him.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I think Miller will want assurance that management puts more commitment into retaining their key players instead of letting them walk every year via free agency. He probably wants to stay with the Sabres but not for a club that isn't serious about building and maintaining a contender. The longer it takes the Sabres to re-sign Miller, the more his name will be linked to the Red Wings or other teams throughout next season.

I wonder how the hell you convince a guy that they are going to sign players after what happened?

Saw this on Spectors site (http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397:the-latest-sabres-and-wild-news&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9):

I wonder how the hell you convince a guy that they are going to sign players after what happened?

I think its common sense to think that Miller will want some assurances as to where the team is heading, especially if he is asked to sign below his perceived market value. But don't dismiss the notion that Quinn and Miller are a lot alike and that Miller genuinely feels good about certain aspects of this team and where it is heading.

EDIT: And don't be surprised if Pominville's signing happens very quickly

I think its common sense to think that Miller will want some assurances as to where the team is heading, especially if he is asked to sign below his perceived market value. But don't dismiss the notion that Quinn and Miller are a lot alike and that Miller genuinely feels good about certain aspects of this team and where it is heading.

EDIT: And don't be surprised if Pominville's signing happens very quickly

When Gaustad was told by Paul Hamilton that LQ put his name in as someone to lock up.

Goose was a little cagey, he said the most important thing was to be sure that he was going to play for a competitive team.

Asked if a veteran was needed for maturity...Goose said that bringing in other people's vets is no guarantee of maturity.

I really think these guys want to stay together and have talked about it.

It's simple. You do it. Sign the RFA's and get Pominville signed then what is Millers argument? We would have resigned everyone.

If this group of management didn't learn from the CD/DB fiasco, they never will.

We'll know if we see Pominville & Miller with new contracts before training camp.

The FO did a good job this past year with signing Roy & Hecht to extensions and bringing in Pratt for very little, but acted poorly in bringing in a backup goalie who had little left in the tank, not bringing in a blueliner at the deadline to replace Campbell or trying to acquire a veteran forward(3rd liner) for the playoff run.

No one will know for a few years if matching the Vanek offer was a good deal.

So have they learned their lesson? I'm not sure.

Archived