Updated prospect rankings/summarys

LabattBlue

Not sure what your point is.

Miller is not the problem. Thibaults' position is. He has been a waste of skin for the last 3 months. We have invested something in these prospects, I believe we need to test their capacity. You know we have done it alot with our rookies, so whats the difference with goalies?

Could one consider college football equivalent to the AHL as far as a developmental place for young players to get ready for the big leagues?

you know what the bottom line is, the BIG leagues are the BIG leagues. You see alot more kids in the NHL 18+ having success right now. NFL demands less individual talents, and is harder to make impact. NBA might be a better comparision here.

Double posting minor noted. Oops.

Miller is not the problem. Thibaults' position is. He has been a waste of skin for the last 3 months. We have invested something in these prospects, I believe we need to test their capacity. You know we have done it alot with our rookies, so whats the difference with goalies?

But why jeopardize a potential future franchise goalie to improve over T-bo? That's what I don't get. Can you honestly say it will be better for Enroth's development to sit for the vast majority of the season instead of playing every other night at the next level down, working with Sabres' coaches? And is using our top goaltending prospect as a backup to improve over a piss-poor excuse for goaltender the best way to get a better backup?

Additionally - there is a big difference in developing a rookie skater versus a rookie goalie. Goalies are on the ice the whole game, they can't be dropped to the 4th line or have their minutes cut when they are struggling.

But why jeopardize a potential future franchise goalie to improve over T-bo? That's what I don't get. Can you honestly say it will be better for Enroth's development to sit for the vast majority of the season instead of playing every other night at the next level down, working with Sabres' coaches? And is using our top goaltending prospect as a backup to improve over a piss-poor excuse for goaltender the best way to get a better backup?

Additionally - there is a big difference in developing a rookie skater versus a rookie goalie. Goalies are on the ice the whole game, they can't be dropped to the 4th line or have their minutes cut when they are struggling.

Perhaps these are the questions. Pros would be giving him a start every 7-10 nights maybe; running on NHL speed instead of AHL speed; NHL practices, pro coaching; eliminating another level of learning curves.

Cons would be your points of sitting on bench instead of playing regularly; against AHL level talent; minor league coaches; minor league pressures.

All I want to see is guys like this to get a look this summer. Is there anyone else out there that wants T-Bo on the bench next year?

Perhaps these are the questions. Pros would be giving him a start every 7-10 nights maybe; running on NHL speed instead of AHL speed; NHL practices, pro coaching; eliminating another level of learning curves.

Cons would be your points of sitting on bench instead of playing regularly; against AHL level talent; minor league coaches; minor league pressures.

All I want to see is guys like this to get a look this summer. Is there anyone else out there that wants T-Bo on the bench next year?

We can agree on T-Bo. I just think there are more potential negatives to having Enroth start in the NHL than there are positives.

Projecting how a certain player is going to do in the pros is just such a crapshoot that you never know. Enroth could come in and blow everyone away like Cam Ward or Price and make Miller expendable. He could come in and be totally overwhelmed by the speed of the NHL game and need time to adjust. Look at a guy like Marc-Andre Fleury - he was a no.1 overall pick and jumped right into the NHL at age 19, but has just recently started establishing himself as a true no.1/franchise goalie.

We can agree on T-Bo. I just think there are more potential negatives to having Enroth start in the NHL than there are positives.

Projecting how a certain player is going to do in the pros is just such a crapshoot that you never know. Enroth could come in and blow everyone away like Cam Ward or Price and make Miller expendable. He could come in and be totally overwhelmed by the speed of the NHL game and need time to adjust. Look at a guy like Marc-Andre Fleury - he was a no.1 overall pick and jumped right into the NHL at age 19, but has just recently started establishing himself as a true no.1/franchise goalie.

Where this kid ends up could be a reflection of desperation on the franchise.

Wow. Because Montreal being in the playoffs and Buffalo being out is solely based on the goaltenders. Nope - Price is in the playoffs and Miller's out. He sucks and we should clearly jeopardize the development of a young goalie prospect (and that's all he is right now, a prospect) who may be our future franchise guy so he can "push" MIller. Good to see the Bills' QB mentality is seeping in here. Not what have you done for me - I want it right now.

Hell, a good portion of Montreal's playoff status was built on the shoulders of Huet, not Price.

Where this kid ends up could be a reflection of desperation on the franchise.

That's true. Given the way they have handled prospects in the recent past, I have to believe that they're going to be patient with him and not rush him to the pros. They'll start him in the AHL, and in the best case scenario he gets a year under his belt and plays well, putting the Sabres are in the good spot of having two franchise goalies. Worst case - he struggles in the AHL and the Sabres are in exactly the same situation - with Miller and no help coming from the minors.

I still believe that team can find a better NHL backup than T-Bo without leaving one of their top prospects sitting on the bench.

Hell, a good portion of Montreal's playoff status was built on the shoulders of Huet, not Price.

And with both posting Miller-esque numbers. Maybe it has more to do with consistent offense, a defense that doesn't resemble a beer league squad, and split goalie duties.

wee - I enjoyed the debate this a.m. - gave me something to focus on other than last night's debacle and the impending end of the season.

I just want to clarify - I don't want my position to be misinterpreted as not liking Enroth and not wanting to see him succeed. I really do want to see him succeed, just like I wanted to see Ryan, Marty and Mika all succeed. I really liked Mika the most out of all three, and thought he got the short end of the stick during the Marty-Ryan battle (played a grand total of 10 games for three different teams in 2005-06.) That's part of the reason I don't want to see the Sabres fug up Enroth's development and really don't want to see a good young prospect buried on the bench.

Archived