Sabres' Offensive Stats

Bmwolf21

I worked on this a little before the SabreSpace "Rapture" suddenly claimed all the recent posts and data, but since it came up in the Canes' GDT, I thought I'd look into it a little more.

Including the Carolina game, the Sabres have scored 219 goals (according to NHL.com) for an average of 2.99/game. They've allowed 202, for an average of about 2.84 per game.

Last year we scored 298 goals, for an average of 3.63/game, while we allowed 238 goals, averaging 2.90/game.

Here's how the per-game offensive numbers breakdown:

We've been held to 2 or fewer goals in 34 of 72 GP (47%):

--Been shutout four times (none last year)

--Held to one goal 12 times (quick count shows 6 last year)

--Record in games allowing two or fewer: 5-22-7.

Scored 3 goals 13 times; record is 5-5-3.

Scored 4 goals 9 times; record is 8-1-1.

Scored 5+goals 15 times; record is 15-0-0.

So in 68% of our games - 49/72 - we've either had trouble denting the scoreboard at all, or have given opposing goalies neck burns from all the red lights flashing behind them...it really is feast or famine this year. As much as the defense has struggled this year, it seems that it's really more of the same as last year - but last year's team had a ton of offense that helped cover a lot of warts.

Solid work, like the Sabs tonight.. That really backs up what we have seen this year with the

Dr Jykll vs. Mr Hyde. This team is still finding itself and gets too easily rattled. When they don't lose their confidence and keep playing they are as good as any of the 4-8 seeded teams...

Just to clarify, the point I was trying to show is that this version of the Sabres score goals in bunches and are very inconsistent offensively - the "feast or famine" effect - not that they have a good or bad record in 1-goal games, etc.

FWIW, here are the Sabres' records in 1-goal, 2-goal and 3-goal/more (differential) games:

1 goal: 11-6-11

2 goals: 10-10-0

3+goals: 13-12-0

EDIT: Added the link

Archived