Winning feeds upon itself

PASabreFan

Comments about how well the Sabres been drafting in recent years got me to wondering if the drafting has been that much better or if finally having a solid, winning organization just inspires our draft choices to play well once they get here. These kids expect, and are expected, to win. That a sea change for this organEYEzation from previous "eras."

Now I'm wondering if the same phenomenon applies to Ty Conklin, a career backup, minor-leaguer who has struggled to find his way in the NHL. Is his game rejuvenated by a trade to Buffalo, a thought that would have seemed laughable in past years? (For the opposite effect, contemplate the feeling you'd have if you were drafted by the Bills this year -- McGahee could have flown to Baltimore without need of a plane.)

I have a good feeling about Conks. It says here he is terrific tonight in a 4-2 Sabres' win.

Comments about how well the Sabres been drafting in recent years got me to wondering if the drafting has been that much better or if finally having a solid, winning organization just inspires our draft choices to play well once they get here. These kids expect, and are expected, to win. That a sea change for this organEYEzation from previous "eras."

Now I'm wondering if the same phenomenon applies to Ty Conklin, a career backup, minor-leaguer who has struggled to find his way in the NHL. Is his game rejuvenated by a trade to Buffalo, a thought that would have seemed laughable in past years? (For the opposite effect, contemplate the feeling you'd have if you were drafted by the Bills this year -- McGahee could have flown to Baltimore without need of a plane.)

I have a good feeling about Conks. It says here he is terrific tonight in a 4-2 Sabres' win.

I hope he does have a good game tonight. Corsi has been interested in him for a while. Maybe a coaching staff having confidence in him will give him a little more confidence in himself...which may be one of his biggest problems since the SCF last year.

Now I'm wondering if the same phenomenon applies to Ty Conklin, a career backup, minor-leaguer who has struggled to find his way in the NHL.....

In '03-'04 he was the starter for Edmonton and put together a great season, since then it has been a struggle for him.

Archived