Talk about trying to help a new guy fit in...

eball

Zubrus declined (as he should have) and will wear #15, but what does that say about Roy and (once again) the overall character of the Sabres in general?

These guys are so tight they squeak. This is going to be one heluva fun Spring.

Zubrus declined (as he should have) and will wear #15, but what does that say about Roy and (once again) the overall character of the Sabres in general?

Was there an asking price?

It also shows me that Zubrus is here to do whatever it takes to win. He could care less about what number he wears. Excellent moves by both players.

Nah, it would make it even more special.

"Hey, your Roy jersey has the wrong number."

"Actually, he wore #9 for his first few season in Buffalo."

"Woh. Cool piece of history."

Class act move by Roy.

I hate to say anything nice about the Leafs, but there was a similar situation in Toronto this year. Kubina signs in the offseason and takes #73 (he wore 13 with Tampa, but that frigging Sundin has it in Toronto.) Anyway he starts out the season with some bad luck - injury, poor play, etc. - and decides to switch to 31, the reverse of his old number. I can't find the link for it, but apparently he offered to pay for fans to switch their jerseys from 73 to his new number.

Knowing how superstitious athletes can be, it's nice to see some of them who are more concerned with guys other than themselves...

Anyway he starts out the season with some bad luck - injury, poor play, etc. - and decides to switch to 31, the reverse of his old number.

Didn't Satan wear #18 when he started with the Sabres and then switched to #81 due to bad luck.

Actually, IIRC, he started with 81 b/c someone already had 18 (Grosek, I believe) and when Michal left, he took 18. When he struggled while wearing 18, he switched back to 81, and when Timmy came in next year, he took 18 & wore it until the Sabres retired it.

Archived